To consider report of the Interim Deputy Chief Executive
Alyn Owen referred to the ‘Homelessness Strategy – Update’ report.
Cerys Clark then led the Committee in detail through the report and together with Councillor G Thomas, Alyn Owen and Suzanne Lewis-Abbott responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee:
· Paragraph 6.5 – Explanation requested of why the location of Chaplin’s is no longer appropriate and information requested on alternative accommodation
· Paragraph 7.0 – Increase in demand for single accommodation – Has anything been done in relation to underlying trends
· Prison Leavers – Is there data available for release dates – Is there anything done by the Council prior to prisoners being released
· Care Leavers - Is there a Strategy in place to prevent homelessness
· Paragraph 4.13 – Are there enough placements available - HMO’s
· The effect of staff cuts on the Department
· Further explanation requested on the role of the ‘One Stop Shop’ staff
· Explanation requested on ‘Psychologically Informed Accommodation’
· Beneficial to have future updates on success stories in relation to support and accommodation
(The Chair then proposed a report to the Committee on Case Studies)
· Further explanation requested in relation to Homelessness figures
(Cerys Clark advised that she would circulate the new figures to the Committee)
· Paragraphs 6.1 and 4.9 – Request for more detailed comparison figures for where we are
(Suzanne Lewis-Abbott advised that an updated report would be shared with the Committee together with the inclusion of figures from all the other Local Authorities)
· Is the Council able to buy its own property and provide HMO’s in suitable locations – If unable to purchase could properties be leased
The content of the report be noted.
The Chair then thanked Councillor G Thomas and the Officers for the update to the Committee.