To consider the attached report
The Chair referred to the ‘Weed Spraying throughout the County Borough’ report and welcomed Robert Barnett to the Meeting.
Robert Barnett then led the Committee through the report and responded in detail to the following questions that were raised:
· Paragraph 1.3 – Questions over safety – What is the view of the Environment Agency in the UK and the Health and Safety Commission.
· Explanation requested in relation to spraying and public safety
· Paragraph 5.1 – Is there sufficient time to cover the whole of the County Borough in twelve weeks
· Paragraph 5.10 – Is this Service publicised and are the public aware of the Service –Charges for the Service
· Paragraph 5.15 – Decisions required by the Council – System has to be in place by December 2022
· Is Glyphosate used in Parks and Playgrounds
· Details requested on how long after spraying could it be dangerous to humans and animals
· Problems of spraying gutters due to parked vehicles
· Is there an alternative to Glyphosate being manufactured
· Glyphosate is used in products that the public are able to purchase
· How big a problem is Japanese Knotweed throughout the County Borough
· What happens if the pavement is not wide enough for the Machine
· Paragraphs 4.2 and 5.18 – How many additional staff would be needed to undertake maintenance if Glyphosate was not used
· Paragraph 6.2 – To watch what happens in Lambeth
A Member then referred to the need for a further report to the Committee in relation to recommendations on the way forward in advance of December 2022 and that this matter should be incorporated into the Forward Work Programme as there could be financial implications.
The contents of the report be noted.
The Chair then thanked Robert Barnett for attending and the update to the Committee.