To consider report of the Chief Officer Education
Sue Walker advised that a Head of Service has been appointed for the Additional Learning Needs and Inclusion post and the successful candidate will hopefully start before the new academic year.
Jill Watkins and Rhiannon Stephens Davies referred to the report on the Additional Learnings Needs and Outreach Support across the Authority and took members through the report in detail as follows:
- Taking forward the Merthyr Additional Learning Needs Co-ordinator (ALNCo) Forum.
- All schools engaging in training in readiness for the new Act.
- Supporting the needs of the ALNCos.
- Outreach support commissioned by Greenfield School to LRBs across Merthyr Tydfil.
Jill Watkins and Rhiannon Stephens Davies provided background information in relation to the following:
- How is training for the ALNCos being used in the classroom situation.
- Clarification on the Child’s Review.
- Sharing of what provisions are available to support children in Schools.
- Interactive training available and how this can be rolled out.
- Staff within Greenfield School working on the outreach support and how will this impact on the needs of the children in Greenfield School.
- Statutory duties for maintained Schools. When will Schools embark on this process?
- Introduction of the B Squared Assessment.
- The process in determining whether a child has ALNs.
Councillor Sherelle Jago arrived at 4.35 pm.
The contents of the report be noted by members.
The Chair thanked Jill Watkins and Rhiannon Stephens Davies for their informative report and presentation.