Agenda and minutes

Venue: CONFERENCE ROOM 2

Items
No. Item

169.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence received from Councillor Clive Tovey.

170.

Declarations of Interest

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

171.

Analysis of Data in respect of Corporate Complaints received by the Authority pdf icon PDF 137 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Carys Kennedy reminded members that part of their regular work programme includes consideration of data in respect of complaints made against this Authority. 

 

She then referred to the report which outlined data in respect of Corporate Complaints for 2017/18 and 2018/19 and discussion ensued in relation to the year on year comparison data.  

 

In relation to the Social Services Complaints data for 2018/19, which was handed out at the meeting, Carys Kennedy advised that we don’t have the comparative data for previous years but that this will be provided in the next scheduled report in 2020.

 

Detailed discussion ensued on the data and it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Committee notes the data received from the Complaints Department in respect of Corporate and Social Services Complaints.

 

·         Further reports to include comparative data for the Social Services Complaints along with the Corporate Complaints. 

 

·         In relation to the Corporate Complaints, future reports to identify which complaints have been upheld under the service breakdown provided. 

172.

Overview of the Standards Committee

Members to consider producing an overview of the work of the Standards Committee, to be scheduled to a future Full Council meeting.

Minutes:

Carys Kennedy referred to the draft document providing the overview of the Standards Committee and discussion ensued on the details contained in the document.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Karen Reddy would make the necessary amendments as agreed by the members.

 

·         This document be scheduled for Full Council on the 11th September 2019 for Councillors’ information.

 

·         Future annual reports on the work carried out by the Standards Committee be produced in July each year and scheduled for Full Council for members’ information.  

173.

Update on Whistleblowing Policy

Carys Kennedy to update members on progress.

Minutes:

Carys Kennedy referred members to the update at April’s meeting where she confirmed that there was no update to give as no further Whistleblowing complaints had been received and it was agreed that she would report back to this meeting on any further awareness being publicised across the Authority. 

 

She advised members that since the last meeting she has received two Whistleblowing complaints and gave members an update on these.  

 

Following discussions it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Members will be updated on the progress of the complaints when required.

 

·         The publicity exercise will be carried out when appropriate.

174.

Independent Members - Term of Office

Confirmation of Independent Members extending their term of office for an additional 2 years. 

 

 

Minutes:

At the last meeting, members were advised that Independent Members are appointed for a period of 4 years and no more than 6 years and that Carys Kennedy asked the members whether they would consider extending their term of office for an additional 2 years.

 

Karen Reddy confirmed that Jeff Morgan, Ian Cathrew and Mike McCarthy have now confirmed that they will extend their term of office for an additional 2 years. 

 

It was also confirmed that Helen Thomas’ appointment as a representative of Bedlinog Community Council would continue until the Committee are advised of a change in membership by the Bedlinog Community Council. 

175.

Training and Development

Minutes:

Detailed discussion ensued on future training and development requirements for members of the Committee, as follows:

 

·         Attendance at Standards Committee Hearings at neighbouring Authorities.

 

·         Other training with neighbouring Local Authorities. 

 

·         Training requirements for new members.

 

·         The consideration of a South East Wales Standards Committee Forum so that Standards Committees across the region can share good practice and build good relationships with neighbouring Standards Committees. 

 

·         The next Standards Conference. 

 

Following discussions, it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Consideration be given for members to attend neighbouring  Authorities in relation to observing Standards Committee Hearings and other relevant training if appropriate.

 

·         Carys Kennedy to update members on progress of the setting up of a South East Wales Standards Committee Forum.

 

·         Carys Kennedy to update members on the next Standards Conference when details are available. 

176.

Date of next meeting

Minutes:

It was agreed that the date of the next meeting will be Friday, 15th November 2019 at 2.00 pm in Conference Room 2 at the Civic Centre.  

177.

Any other item deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

Carys Kennedy referred members to the package of support that is being given by Welsh Government.  

 

She advised that all Councils are feeling the strain of continued budget cuts and with limited budgets it is getting more and more difficult.   She further advised that the Council had approached Welsh Government in accordance with relevant legislation to request support for the Authority to ensure that we are making the best use of financial resources and also that we are maximising all available resources.

 

Following these discussions it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Carys Kennedy will update members on the Welsh Government support when required.  

 

·         Steve Jones, the Authority’s Section 151 Officer, be invited to the next meeting scheduled for Friday, 15th November to give an overview of how the finances are allocated throughout the Authority. 

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z