Agenda and minutes

Venue: CONFERENCE ROOM 2. View directions

Items
No. Item

771.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies received from Sue Blackmore, Mike Southcoat and Councillor Gareth Jones.  

772.

Minutes of the last Meeting

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th October 2011 were submitted and approved.

773.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

There were no matters arising. 

774.

RE and the Merthyr Learning Quarter - Jonathan Martin, Merthyr Tydfil College

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Jonathan Martin from Merthyr Tydfil College to the meeting. 

 

Jonathan Martin gave a presentation to the Committee in relation to the Merthyr Learning Quarter and Religious Education and the following were discussed in detail:

 

  • The provision of facilities for religious education
  • Religious education and the link with partner schools in Merthyr Tydfil
  • Religious education within the curriculum
  • Religious Studies  at A/AS level and recruitment of the teaching post(s).       

 

Questions were raised by members of the Committee and duly answered by Jonathan Martin. 

 

Discussion ensued with regard to inviting Jonathan Martin to be a member of SACRE.   It was unanimously agreed that Jonathan Martin would become a teacher representative of SACRE representing the Association of College Management.  

 

 

775.

Religious Studies Examination Results 2011 (to be tabled at the meeting)

Minutes:

CP distributed a brief analysis of the examination grades achieved to date for GCSE’s and A Level.    

 

Questions were asked by the Committee and answered by CP. 

 

The good A levels results achieved throughout the Borough were noted and it was agreed that the Chair would draft letters to Schools, on behalf of SACRE, congratulating them on their successful results. 

 

 

776.

KS3 Assessment Issues:

776a

Teacher Assessment levels in Religious Education 2011 (to be tabled at the meeting)

Minutes:

CP distributed to the Committee the Key Stage 3: Year 9 Religious Education Levels for 2010 and 2011. 

 

These were noted by the Committee. 

776b

Securing Teacher Assessment at KS3 - Chief Moderator's Report. pdf icon PDF 43 KB

Minutes:

CP led the Committee through the Moderator’s Report for 2011.

 

Concern was expressed by the Committee and CP advised that these concerns have already been raised at WASACRE and feed back given to the Chief Moderator. 

777.

WASACRE

777a

Feedback from meeting on 24th November 2011 at Cardiff pdf icon PDF 82 KB

Minutes:

CP led the Committee through the main discussion of the WASACRE meeting that was held on 24th November 2011 in Cardiff. 

 

In relation to the request for membership of SACRE by the British Humanist Association, CP advised that the WASACRE Executive has already written to the Welsh Government seeking clarification on this issue.    It was agreed by the Committee that this will be addressed at a later meeting once guidance from the Welsh Government has been received.  

 

777b

Representation at the spring term meeting - Aberaeron Friday, 30th March 2012

Minutes:

CP advised that the date of the Spring Meeting at Aberaeron is 30th March 2012 and that 4 members of the SACRE Committee are invited.   

 

Agreed that KV to write to the SACRE members advising them of this meeting and to ask if anyone would be interested in attending. 

 

778.

SACRE Membership

Minutes:

CP advised that Alun Jones, Head of RE at Penydre, is interested in attending future SACRE meetings.  Members were happy for CP to invite Alun to the meetings. 

 

It was agreed that:

 

Councillor membership will be considered following the May Elections. 

 

Lorraine Buck will be attending further meetings. 

 

Heledd Barnett will no longer be attending the SACRE meetings. 

 

As previously agreed, it was queried whether the Unions have been contacted with regard to membership of SACRE.  Agreed that KV would check if this has been done and report back to the next meeting.  

 

 

 

 

779.

Correspondence

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting is Tuesday, 12th June 2012 at 3.45 pm.   Please note that this meeting will be held at Merthyr Tydfil College (Room 407, Fourth Floor).

780.

Any other business as deemed urgent by the Chairman

Minutes:

CP noted that Merthyr is the host authority for Autumn Term meeting of WASACRE.   CP will liaise with Mike Southcoat to discuss the necessary details. 

 

With regard to costs in relation to refreshments and buffet, Councillor Richard Thomas advised that he would confirm this with the Chief Executive.                           

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z