Agenda and minutes

Venue: CONFERENCE ROOM 2, CIVIC CENTRE

Items
No. Item

121.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence received from Sian Bernard-Henderson, Lee-anne McCarthy, Mark Carrington and Andy Pitt.

122.

Declaration of Interests

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

123.

Minutes of previous meeting held on 11th February 2016 at Twynyrodyn Primary School pdf icon PDF 169 KB

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 11th February 2016 were submitted and approved. 

124.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas advised that she has prepared a draft article for RE News on Justine Jones’ presentation at March’s meeting on the use of thinking skills in RE. 

 

Discussed ensued in relation to the Roman Catholic vacancy and Vicky Thomas advised that she would make enquiries with Deacon Philip Manghan to try to progress this.

125.

Schedule of meetings: 2016/17

Dates and venues to be confirmed at the meeting:

·         Early November 2016

·         Late February/early March 2017

·         Early June 2017

Minutes:

Members agreed the forthcoming meetings of SACRE:

 

·         Tuesday, 1st November 2016 at 3.45 pm to be held at Afon Taf High School.

 

·         Tuesday, 7th March 2017 at 3.45 pm to be held at Trelewis Community School.

 

·         Wednesday, 14th June 2017 at 3.45 pm to be held at the Civic Centre.

126.

Presentation on Collective Worship in Primary Schools

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas made a presentation on the provision of daily acts of collective worship in primary schools in response to comments made in the Estyn Inspection reports about some schools not complying fully with the statutory requirement.    She outlined the following in detail:

 

·         Estyn Guidelines on collective worship.

 

·         How can we create the right atmosphere for worship?

 

·         How can we make sure our assembly links well with the collective worship if it is not on a christian theme?

 

·         How can we encourage children to reflect?

 

·         How can we make sure that worship stands out from the main assembly?

 

·         How can we encourage all pupils?

 

·         Things to remember when planning daily act of worship.

 

·         Examples of monthly themes for whole school collective worship.

 

Discussion ensued in relation to this presentation, and it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Vicky Thomas contact Mark Campion from Estyn on an informal basis to seek further guidance on the recent outcome of the Estyn Inspection for Twynyrodyn Community School. 

 

·         A copy of the presentation be sent to all primary schools.

 

 

127.

Update: Revised Criteria for GCSE and GCE Specifications pdf icon PDF 59 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas updated members in relation to the current situation in schools, namely route one (optional religious studies), route two (GCSE RS accreditation in the statutory religious education lesson) and also the meeting between WJEC and NAPfRE representatives on the 15th April 2016.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         SACRE notes the contents of the report.

 

·         Vicky Thomas to provide members with further information as and when it becomes available.

128.

Update: National Curriculum Review and Assessment pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas advised members on the update in relation to the national curriculum review, and the NAPfRE briefing paper which outlined the particular issues relating to RE within a new curriculum.  She went through the three areas identified by NAPfRE, namely RE in the present curriculum, withdrawal and RE for nursery settings.  

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         The contents be noted by the Committee.

 

·         Vicky Thomas will update members at a future meeting.

 

129.

INCERTS pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas outlined the concerns raised at the National Advisory Panel for RE and WASACRE about the INCERTS software which tracks pupils’ progress in National Curriculum subjects and Religious Education. 

 

RESOLVED that:

 

A letter be sent to all schools, on behalf of the Local Authority, to reiterate the need to ensure that they are using the correct option for RE within the Incerts programme. 

130.

WASACRE Issues: pdf icon PDF 418 KB

·         Feedback from meeting at Haverfordwest  -  8th March 2016

·         Feedback on Welsh Baccalaureate survey by WASACRE

·         Representation at next meeting at Rhyl, Denbighshire:  23rd June 2016

·         Executive Voting for the period 2016-19 (see pen portraits)

Minutes:

Feedback from meeting at Haverfordwest

Vicky Thomas updated members on the WASACRE meeting on the 8th March 2016.

 

Feedback on Welsh Baccalaureate survey

Vicky Thomas referred to the launch of the new Welsh Baccalaureate in September 2015, and advised members of the outcome of the survey circulated to all Secondary Schools outlining the positive/negative impacts on religious education. 

 

Representation at next meeting at Rhyl

The Chair and Vicky Thomas confirmed that they would be unable to attend this meeting on the 23rd June 2016.   

 

RESOLVED that:

Karen Vokes would e-mail all members to enquire if they would be able to attend.

 

Executive Voting for the period 2016-19

Following discussion, it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         Mary Parry, Huw Stephens and Matthew Maidment be nominated by Merthyr SACRE for membership of the Executive Committee of WASACRE.

 

·         Karen Vokes to e-mail Libby Jones with confirmation of these nominations.

 

 

131.

Correspondence

Minutes:

No correspondence was discussed.

132.

Any other business as deemed urgent by the Chairman

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z