Agenda and minutes

Venue: AFON TAF HIGH SCHOOL

Items
No. Item

579.

Ethol Cadeirydd / Election of Chairperson

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

Councillor Ernie Galsworthy was formally re-elected as Chair.

580.

Ethol Is-gadeirydd / Election of Vice Chairperson

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

Councillor Kate Moran was formally re-elected as Vice Chairman.

Councillor Ernie Galsworthy took the Chair

581.

Cyflwyniad ar Addysg Grefyddol yn Ysgol Uwchradd Afon Taf / Presentation on Religious Education at Afon Taf High School

Minutes:

Amanda Jones made a presentation to members in relation to the teaching of religious education at Afon Taf High School, and outlined the following in detail:

 

·         Background of the School’s Religious Education lessons. 

 

·         Assessment Tasks.

 

·         GCSE Short Course/Full Course.

 

·         Religious Studies at ATHS.

 

·         Experiential Learning to enable pupils to re-enact puja, Eucharist, baptisms, coming of age ceremonies and weddings.

 

·         Religion Neutral Exercise.

 

·         Rewarding Excellence at the School.

 

The Chair thanked Amanda Jones for her very informative presentation. 

582.

Ymddiheuriadau am absenoldeb / Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence received from Councillor Kate Moran, Helen Price, Lucy Draper and Ann Star.

583.

Datgan buddiant / Declaration of Interests

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

584.

Cofnodion y cyfarfod a gynhaliwyd ar 7 Mehefin 2016 (yn cynnwys Amserlen o'r Cyfarfodydd 2016/17) / Minutes of the meeting held on 7th June 2016 (including Schedule of Meetings 2016/17) pdf icon PDF 168 KB

 

  • Cadarnhau cofnodion 7 Mehefin 2016.

 

  • Amserlen Cyfarfodydd CYSAG ar gyfer 2016/17:

-       Dydd Mawrth 7 Mawrth 2017 am 3.45pm i’w gynnal yn Ysgol Gymunedol Trelewis.

 

-       Dydd Mercher 14 Mehefin 2017 am 3.45pm i’w gynnal yn y Ganolfan Ddinesig.

 

 

·         Confirm minutes of the 7th June 2016.

 

·         Schedule of SACRE Meetings for 2016/17:

-       Tuesday, 7th March 2017 at 3.45 pm to be held at Trelewis Community School.

 

-       Wednesday, 14th June 2017 at 3.45 pm to be held at the Civic Centre.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 7th June 2016 were submitted and approved.

585.

Materion yn Codi / Matters Arising

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas advised that an article has now been publicised on RE News in relation to Justine Jones’ presentation at March’s meeting on the use of thinking skills in RE. 

 

Vicky Thomas also advised the Committee that she will update members at a future meeting on the response from Mark Campion in relation to the recent outcome of the Estyn Inspection for Twynyrodyn Community School.

 

 

586.

Membership Update pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas gave an update on membership of the Committee. 

 

Sarah Bowen advised that she will now be the representative from the Local Authority on SACRE.

587.

SACRE Annual Report pdf icon PDF 48 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas referred to the SACRE’s Annual Report for 2015/16 and led the Committee through the Executive Summary and responded to questions raised.

 

Vicky Thomas then led Members through the 2015-18 SACRE Development Plan and advised of progress made on issues identified within the plan.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Following amendments identified within the Annual Report and Development Plan, the report be approved.   Vicky Thomas to make amendments and send back to Karen Vokes.

 

·         The Annual Report be circulated to the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) together with the organisations listed in Appendix 6 of the report by the 30th December 2016.

 

·         Members note the progress made with the Development Plan. 

588.

Cynllun Datblygu CYSAG 2015 - 2018: Adroddiad Cynnydd (gweler yr Adroddiad Blynyddol) / SACRE Development Plan 2015 - 2018: Progress Report (see Annual Report)

Minutes:

The SACRE Development Plan for 2015-18 was discussed as part of the previous item.

589.

Dadansoddiad o Adroddiad Arolwg Hydref 2015 - Haf 2016 / Inspection Report Analysis Autumn 2015 - Summer 2016 pdf icon PDF 74 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas referred to the School Inspection Reports in relation to the 3 primary schools, namely YGG Santes Tydfil, YGG Coed Dderwen, Cyfarthfa Park Primary and 2 secondary schools, namely Cyfarthfa and Penydre High Schools.  

 

She led Committee through the outcomes of the inspections.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

Members note the contents of the inspection reports.

590.

RE and the National Curriculum: Update pdf icon PDF 74 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas updated members in relation to the Welsh Government meeting with WASACRE Officers on the 13th September 2016, the Policy Forum for Wales Keynote Seminar and NAPfRE Guidance.  

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         SACRE notes the developments relating to the position of RE in the curriculum.

 

·         Sarah Bowen to update members as and when required.

591.

Astudiaethau Crefydd TGAU: Diweddariad / GCSE Religious Studies: Update pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas advised that the A/AS level specifications have been approved and are in place for first teaching from September 2016.   The GCSE specifications, however, were delayed and deferred by Qualifications Wales until first teaching in 2017.  

 

Discussion ensued it was RESOLVED that:

 

·         SACRE note the developments relating to the revised specifications for GCSE.

592.

Dyfarniad CYSAG Cynhwysol / Inclusive SACRE's Award pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Discussion ensued whether this SACRE would apply for the 2017 Accord Inclusivity Award, which is seeking to reward those SACRE’s who boost the growth of inclusion, cohesion and mutual understanding between those of different religions and beliefs. 

 

Vicky Thomas advised that the correspondence received is very informative but, on this occasion, it was RESOLVED that the Committee will not be progressing this. 

593.

CYSAG Cymru / WASACRE pdf icon PDF 414 KB

  • Adborth o’r Cyfarfod Cyffredinol yn Rhyl, Sir Ddinbych ar 23 Mehefin 2016.
  • Cynrychiolaeth yn y cyfarfod nesaf yn Sir Gâr ar 18 Tachwedd 2016.

·         Newid dyddiad Cyfarfod y Gwanwyn CYSAG Cymru – y dyddiad newydd yw 3 Mawrth 2017.

 

·         Feedback from AGM at Rhyl, Denbighshire on 23rd June 2016.

·         Representation at next meeting in Carmarthen on 18th November 2016.

·         Change of date of Spring WASACRE Meeting  -  now confirmed as 3rd March 2017.

Minutes:

Minutes of the WASACRE Meeting on 23rd June 2016

 

·         Vicky Thomas led Committee in detail through the Minutes of the WASACRE meeting at Rhyl, Denbighshire on the 23rd June 2016 and updated members in relation to managing the right of withdrawal from Religious Education and results of the Welsh Baccalaureate and RE survey. 

 

            RESOLVED that: 

            Vicky Thomas draft a letter for Sarah Bowen to remind Schools on fulfilling statutory requirements of teaching RE for key stage 4.  

 

WASACRE meeting on the 18th November 2016

 

·         Discussion ensued in relation to the next WASACRE meeting in Carmarthenshire on the 18th November 2016, and it was agreed that members contact Karen Vokes to confirm if they are able to attend so that this can be confirmed with Libby Jones at WASACRE. 

 

Date of Spring WASACRE Meeting

 

·         Vicky Thomas advised that the Spring WASACRE meeting has now been confirmed at Monmouthshire for the 3rd March 2017. 

594.

Diwrnod Cofio'r Holocost 2017 / Holocaust Memorial Day 2017 pdf icon PDF 66 KB

Minutes:

Vicky Thomas referred the Committee to the report.

 

She advised that Holocaust Memorial Day is an annual event that takes place on the 27th January which marks the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenhau concentration camp. 

 

She advised that Schools are encouraged to participate in the Holocaust Memorial Day and outlined some events that will take place throughout the Borough.

 

Secondary teachers referred to the  use of live streaming from the Holocaust Educational Trust website for those teachers who wished to avail themselves of this facility. 

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Vicky Thomas to draft letter to all Schools.

595.

Gohebiaeth / Correspondence

Minutes:

No correspondence was discussed.

596.

Unrhyw Fater Arall y mae'r Cadeirydd yn ei ystyried yn Bwysig / Any other business as deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent. 

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z