Agenda and minutes

Venue: CONFERENCE ROOM 1

Items
No. Item

427.

Election of Chair and Vice Chair

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Councillor Ernie Galsworthy be formally re-elected as Chair.

 

·         Rev. Mark Prevett be formally elected as Vice Chair.

Councillor Ernie Galsworthy took the Chair

428.

Welcome and apologies for absence

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Maggie Turford, Consultant for Merthyr SACRE, to her first meeting.     Maggie Turford thanked members and gave a background of what her involvement will be with SACRE’s throughout Authorities. 

 

Apologies for absence received from Sian Bernard Henderson, Leanne McCarthy, Mark Carrington, Justine Jones, Andy Pitt and David O’Keefe.

 

Members were advised that a letter of resignation had been received from Helen Price from Trelewis Community School, and it was agreed that a letter of thanks be sent to her for all her contribution.

429.

Declaration of Interests

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

430.

Minutes of Previous Meeting(s) pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 14th June 2018 were submitted and approved.

431.

Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

Minutes:

Maggie Turford referred to the number of faith denomination representatives on this Committee, which was discussed at the last meeting, and she confirmed that each individual SACRE Committee can decide on the number of representatives in each group.  

 

She also confirmed that a Humanist Representative would be part of Group A (religious denomination) and would report back an update to the Spring meeting so that she can liaise with other SACRE’s on their Humanist Representative.

432.

SACRE Annual Report 2017-18 pdf icon PDF 425 KB

Minutes:

Maggie Turford referred to the SACRE’s Annual Report for 2017-18 and led the Committee through the Executive Summary.   She responded to questions raised in relation to continuing professional development for teachers and examination results for 2018.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

The Annual Report be circulated to Welsh Government together with the organisations as outlined in Appendix 5 of the report by the 30th December 2018.

433.

Inspection Synopsis - September 2017 to June 2018 pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Minutes:

Maggie Turford advised the Committee that during the academic year (autumn 2017- summer 2018) 4 primary schools were inspected and that also a few schools were subject to a follow up monitoring visit but these were not in relation to RE or Collective Worship. 

 

The 4 primary schools inspected were Caedraw, Gwaunfarren, Trelewis and Heolgerrig and Maggie Turford led Committee through the outcomes. 

 

RESOLVED that:

 

Note the content of the inspection report.

434.

Review of RE at KS2 AND KS3 pdf icon PDF 85 KB

Minutes:

Maggie referred to Estyn’s report on the Religious Education at Key Stage 2 and 3 which judges standards, provision and leadership.    She advised that a number of schools across Wales were visited as part of this survey and that the report is intended for the Welsh Government, headteachers and staff in schools, local authorities, regional consortia together with members of SACRE’s. 

 

Members were led through the report which covered the background, standards, provision and leadership.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Members note the contents of the report.

 

·         Maggie Turford to confirm whether SACRE’s have a role under the Prevent duty, relating to the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015.   

435.

Curriculum Development update from Workshop held on the 28th September 2018 pdf icon PDF 72 KB

Minutes:

Members were advised that Maggie Turford and Rev Mark Prevett attended the Religious Education and the new Curriculum for Wales Workshop in Cardiff held on the 28th September 2018 where presentations were given by Professor Donaldson, Manon Jones (Welsh Government), Paula Webber and Libby Jones.      Maggie Turford and Rev. Mark Prevett took members through the presentation (copies were handed out to members at the meeting).

 

The main issues raised at these workshops were:

 

Professor Donaldson

·      RE is integral to Humanities AoLE but has distinct contribution to make

·      If separate subject would be vulnerable

·      It will remain statutory but be strengthened as part of mainstream curriculum

·      Need for learning to focus more on “purpose” rather than just “what” learned

·      Importance of learners understanding nature of faith and belief

·      RE is at centre of developing learners’ well-being

·      SACREs will have a critical part to play in this developing curriculum

Manon Jones (Welsh Government):

·      Wider policy issues described, e.g. nursery schools , 6th Forms, need to amend locally agreed syllabi to ensure local arrangements support integration of RE into Humanities curriculum. Group to be set up to draft a framework to support this

Paula Webber

·      A large number of changes to GCSE RE, involvement of learners, how will framework be translated into good practice? Will RE be easily identifiable?. Concern over the lack of RE specialist teachers.

·      Knowledge skills and experience will be linked.  Schools need freedom to plan but core knowledge needs to be in new curriculum. Was there value in a cross-consortia approach to support teachers? As RE sits in Humanities any training will support RE within this framework.

 

Libby Jones-the Supporting Framework for RE:

·      Possible structure for the Supporting Framework for RE, including link to Successful Futures, outline of the “What Matters” approach and the role of the Framework document-the latter could be the Agreed Syllabus. In addition there would be an input from Professor Donaldson

·      The importance of involving all in process-local authorities, consortia, schools, Challenge Advisers, SACREs

·      Withdrawal from RE should be very much an exception in new framewo-14 statements to be considered as core

·       “What’s essential in RE”.   

 

Discussion ensued on reporting back to Welsh Government on the feedback questions, which were circulated at the meeting.  The general consensus by members was that there was still a lack of clarity about the curriculum.   The deadline date to Welsh Government for responses is the 16th November 2018.         

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         The contents of the workshop presentations be noted.

 

·         Members wishing to respond directly to Welsh Government to send their response by the deadline date. 

 

·         Or alternatively e-mail comments to Karen Vokes by Monday, 12th November so that responses can be collated and returned by the deadline date.   

436.

WASACRE - Summary of July meeting in Anglesey pdf icon PDF 48 KB

Minutes:

WASACRE Meeting  -  6th July 2018  -  Anglesey

Maggie Turford led Committee through the minutes of the WASACRE meeting at Anglesey on the 6th July 2018.   Concern was expressed to members that individual SACRE Committees have not had the opportunity to make comments or amendments on the WASACRE Constitution, and therefore could this be noted when the WASACRE Constitution is to be considered next. 

 

WASACRE Meeting  -  20th November 2018  -  Vale of Glamorgan

The Chair (Councillor Ernie Galsworthy) and Vice Chair (Rev. Mark Prevett) confirmed that they will be attending.

 

WASACRE Spring Meeting  -  26th March 2019  -  Cardiff

Members to confirm with Karen Vokes if they wish to attend.

437.

Meeting venues, dates and possible agenda items including:

·         Self evaluation and development planning.

·         Teacher workshops and inputs from Schools.

·         Confirm dates and venues for future meetings.

Minutes:

Self evaluation and development planning

This item to be included in the agenda for the 19th March 2019 meeting.

 

Teacher Workshops and inputs from Schools

Maggie Turford to update members in the next meeting.

 

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of SACRE will be held on Tuesday, 19th March 2019 at 3.45 pm in Conference Room 2 at the Civic Centre.   Maggie Turford to liaise with Karen Vokes on items for the meeting. 

438.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z