Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS

Media

Items
No. Item

98.

Apologies for absence pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Minutes:

Apologies for absence received from Justine Jones, Leanne McCarthy and Anthony Lewis.   

 

Apologies were also received from Councillor Dave Hughes due to other Council business. 

 

The Chair advised Members this will be the last meeting that Angela Hill, our RE Consultant, will be attending.   On behalf of the Committee, the Chair thanked Angela for all her help and support during her time with Merthyr SACRE

 

The Chair also welcomed Donna Graves who will be our new RE Consultant at SACRE from our next meeting.   

 

99.

Declaration of Interests

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

100.

Jewish Museum Project

Minutes:

Angela Hill referred to the correspondence received from Lisa Shames of the Jewish Museum in London.   They are working as Consultants for Foundation for Jewish Heritage and are running the Jewish Museum Project at Merthyr Tydfil Synagogue to turn the renovated Synagogue into a Jewish Culture Centre.  

 

The project is aimed at hosting exhibitions and displays, run events and welcome school groups to the Centre, together with creating a digital resource library for both teachers and students. 

 

Members expressed support for this Project and, following a discussion, it was RESOLVED that:

 

-       Lisa Shames be invited to the Autumn Meeting and Karen Reddy would make the necessary arrangements. 

101.

Membership Update pdf icon PDF 98 KB

Minutes:

Karen Reddy referred to the current membership list and advised Members that there are a number of vacancies on the Committee and consideration needs to be given in recruiting new members.    

 

She advised that she has liaised with Anthony Lewis on the vacancies under the professional associations section and asked him for this to be considered at a future Section Heads Meeting.  

 

Following discussions it was RESOLVED that:

 

-       Anthony Lewis feedback to a future meeting if any Education Representatives would be interested.  

 

-       Karen Reddy to contact Lisa Shames of the Jewish Museum in London to make enquiries whether a representative would be interested in joining Merthyr SACRE Committee to present the jewish community. 

 

-       Enquiries be made in relation to Councillor Michelle Jones’ enquiry on the criteria of a member sitting on the Committee.   

 

-       Angela Hill to liaise with the Islamic Studies in Cardiff with regard to her previous request to them on membership at Merthyr  SACRE. 

102.

Minutes of Previous Meeting - 25th March 2021 pdf icon PDF 232 KB

Minutes:

RESOLVED that:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on the 25th March 2021 were submitted and approved as a correct record. 

 

103.

Update on Plans for examinations in 2022

Minutes:

Angela Hill gave an update to Members following the public consultation on putting a plan in place for 2022 for ‘A’ Levels and GCSE’s.

 

 

104.

WASACRE Business pdf icon PDF 549 KB

-        Draft Minutes from WASACRE Meeting on the 23rd March 2021 (attached).

 

-       WASACRE Meeting held on 19th June 2021.

Minutes:

Angela Hill referred to the WASACRE Meetings  held on the 23rd March 2021 and 19th June 2021 and gave Members an update on the main points raised, in particular the:

 

-       Welsh Government Public Consultation  -  guidance on the design and delivery of mandatory Religious, Values and Ethics.

 

-       New WASACRE website.

 

-          WASACRE’s Annual Financial Reports.

105.

Welsh Government Public Consultation: Guidance on the design and delivery of mandatory Religion, Values and Ethics (RVE)

Minutes:

Angela Hill referred to the Welsh Government Public Consultation  -  guidance on the design and delivery of mandatory Religion, Values and Ethics which was sent previously to Members.   She advised that she has been in a number of discussions around this consultation and have highlighted in the presentation slides some main themes and concerns under each question for consideration.   She did stress the importance for the SACRE Committee to respond to this consultation. 

 

The following questions were considered by the Committee together with the draft responses outlined in the presentation slides:

 

Question 1:

How well does the guidance explain the scope of RVE and its context within the Humanities Area appropriately?

Judgement - not well.

 

Questions 2:

Is the guidance, as a whole, clear and helpful for you in your role?

Judgement - very unclear.

 

Question 3:

Does the guidance offer relevant information to support practitioners when designing their School curriculum for RVE?

Judgement - slightly relevant.

 

Questions 4:

Do you feel there are any gaps?   If so, what should be added?    Any sections that are particularly helpful?  If so, in what way are they helpful and to whom?

 

Question 5:

Does the guidance offer all practitioners sufficient support for their planning and teaching of RVE?

Judgement - insufficient

 

Question 6:

Is additional support needed to ensure the successful implementation of this guidance?

Judgement – Yes.

 

Question 7:

i.    Is the guidance a helpful document for developing agreed syllabus conferences?  Judgement - not helpful at all.

ii.   Is the guidance a helpful document for SAC’s?  Judgement – not helpful at all.

 

Questions 8 and 9:

Questions 8 and 9 not considered as they were not in SACRE’s remit.

 

Question 10:

Any related issues which have not specifically been addressed.

 

 

The Chair and the Committee thanked Angela for her comprehensive and excellent suggestions to this Consultation response. 

 

RESOLVED that

 

·         Angela Hill to send the Consultation on behalf of Merthyr SACRE.

 

·         SACRE members send individual responses if they so wish.

 

106.

Dates for future meetings

Minutes:

Members agreed that the date of the next meeting will be Tuesday, 9th November 2021 at 3.45 pm to be held remotely by Microsoft Teams.

 

107.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent. 

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z