Agenda and minutes

Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER. View directions

Items
No. Item

1106.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor H Barrett and Nicola Mahoney.

1107.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members of the Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct.   In addition, Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.  

 

Note:

 

a.    Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and

 

b.    Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.

 

Minutes:

Declarations of interest were received from Councillor B Smith Item 3 Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust 3rd Quarter update 2015/16, as he is on the Board of Trustees also Robert Holdaway Item 4 Addressing Substance Misuse through Effective Partnerships, as he on the Board.

1108.

Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust 3rd Quarter update 2015/16 pdf icon PDF 146 KB

See attached report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillor B Smith left the Council Chamber.

 

The Chair welcomed Richard Marsh, Kevin O’Neil, Chris Long and Wendy Groves to the meeting.

 

The Chair referred the Committee to the purpose of the report, that the scrutiny committee discusses and comments on the issues set out in the presentation and that the scrutiny committee identifies any further information they would like to receive.

 

Richard Marsh then referred to the presentation in detail.

·         Financial Updates

·         Financial Challenges

·         Highlights of the Year to date.

 

Wendy Groves then referred to performance in detail.

·         Leisure

·         Libraries

·         Cyfarthfa Park

·         REDHOUSE

·         School Swimming

·         Health & Fitness

 

Good success comments on all services was also referred to.

 

Richard Marsh together with Officers responded to the following questions raised by Committee:-

 

·         How do you monitor attendance data for Cyfarthfa Park visitors?

·         How does Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Centre compare with Aberdare and Ebbw Vale?

·         Do you think that the leisure services and facilities have improved, or will improve, as a result of them being transferred to the Trust?

·         Are there any more facilities still under Council control that you fell should or could be transferred to the Trust?

·         Are you finding that you have to change staff attitudes and working practices from a Council approach, to a more commercial approach?

·         Is there anything you would want this Scrutiny Committee to take forward with the Council on your behalf?

 

The Chair thanked the Officers.

 

Councillor B Smith re-entered the Council Chamber.

1109.

Addressing Substance Misuse through Effective Partnerships pdf icon PDF 192 KB

See attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Steve Peters, Julian Pike, Chief Superintendent Sally Burke and Debbie Evans to the meeting.

 

The Chair referred the Committee to the purpose of the report to update the Crime and Disorder Committee on the way in which substance misuse services and issues are managed by the community safety partners within Merthyr Tydfil (as part of the Cwm Taf region).

 

Councillor D Jones referred to the issues outlined within the report.

 

Julian Pike then referred to the report in detail and the following questions were raised by the Committee:-

 

·         How effectively does the “Cwm Taf Substance Misuse Area Planning Board” and the “SIP Steering Group” work together to tackle Substance misuse? Are there any barriers to working together?

·         Is the need of the service user more of a priority than the partners?

·         Drug issue is getting worse is the service for user needle exchange being monitored?

·         How many needles are being distributed?

·         You mentioned that drug litter had been raised at Area Planning Board and Local Service Board level.  Appreciating that a study has been commissioned are you aware if they have done anything in the meantime to tackle the drug related litter problem?

·         If they do not return used or unused needles do you have a record of their names and addresses?

·         Would it be beneficial to inform shops and premises in the town centre on how this systems works as this is a major concern to all?

·         The funding for substance misuse services: who audits the expenditure and do they measure value for money?

·         You mention the closure of 3 premises in Merthyr Tydfil. Has the problem just moved on to somewhere else and who do you monitor the situation?

 

The Chair then read out the recommendation of the report, this should be discussed further in Item 8 of the Agenda.

 

The Chair thanked the Officers.

1110.

Update on Carbon Management Activities pdf icon PDF 222 KB

See attached report

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Cheryllee Evans, Mick Campbell and Paul Manlee to the meeting.

 

The Chair referred the Committee to the purpose of the report, which has been produced to provide a scheduled update on the Authority’s Carbon Management Activities since an independently conducted review was presented to this Committee on 22nd June 2015.

 

Councillor D Jones referred the committee to the 6 key topics within the report.

 

Mick Campbell then referred to the report in details and the following questions were raised by the Committee:-

 

·         The SALIX workshop for 24th February, how many schools attended and what was the feedback like?

·         Will there be further SALIX workshops for those schools who did not attend?

·         What schools attended to take this forward and support this project – could a list of schools be e-mailed?

·         Can we do this in house to save money what is the cheapest option?

·         Has a budget been set aside to carry put any maintenance and purchasing of new efficient equipment?

·         The removal of heaters from offices, how far are you with addressing the issues with the heating control systems and what were the main problems?

·         What savings do you expect to make by removing these heaters?

·         Do managers have energy saving targets as part of their performance reporting responsibilities?

·         When do you expect the implementation of the formal Carbon Management Plan will take place?

·         What is the timescale?

·         Culture needs to change, at the end of the day is there a check list for employees to ensure that all electrical equipment has been switched off?

 

The Chair thanked the Officers.

1111.

Preparation for 11th April 2016 meeting - Overcoming the Blight of Fly-tipping and Litter pdf icon PDF 375 KB

See attached report

Minutes:

The Chair referred the Committee to the report and how we approach the meeting should be arranged for the 11th April 2016.

 

Stakeholders and RSL’s should also be invited to attend this meeting to discuss fly tipping.  We have to date received 3 responses from external organisation and we have Officers and Councillors attending.

 

We need to formulate a plan for the meeting and it was discussed that a task and finish group be set up to consist of Councillors D Roberts, S Slater and B Smith, to work out the line of enquiry.   Concerns were raised that this is a County Borough wide problem and that outside organisations should also be invited. 

 

The recommendation was agreed to take this to a task and finish group be set up to consist of Councillors D Roberts, S Slater and B Smith. 

 

Councillor Phil Williams suggest that Ewan McWilliams should be asked to assist with the co-ordination of this meeting.

 

It was also agreed that this meeting should start at 2.00 pm.

1112.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

To receive any referrals from the other Scrutiny Committees and Audit Committee; an update from the Chair on their attendance at the Service Performance Challenge Meetings and to consider any follow up actions from the previous Meeting(s).

Minutes:

1 referral has been received from Councillor L Mytton who has requested a call in for the enforcement of 3Gs but there is not enough of a time scale to bring this in.  The Chair also informed her that a member of staff from 3Gs would be at the meeting.

 

Councillor B Toomey also stated that this is not a call in but an issue to be further looked at, this needs to be made clear.

1113.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair.

Minutes:

Councillor B Smith left the Council Chamber.

 

Item 3 - Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust to be put on the work program for the next 12 months for the trust to give updates and progress.  Future dates to be confirmed.

 

Councillor B Smith re-entered the Council Chamber.

 

Item 4 – Addressing Substance Misuse through Effective Partnership - to be called back in once report and up-date of review has been completed, issues can then be challenged.  To be added to Work Programme as soon as possible.

 

Item 5 – Update on Carbon Management Activities - to be referred across to LAESCYP Scrutiny Committee as to why certain schools did not participate in the workshop; asked to endorse the formal Carbon Management Plan to be put back on to the work programme for later on in the year.

1114.

Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 171 KB

See attached report.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered and agreed the Forward Work Programme.

 

11th April special meeting on Fly- tipping and litter also a date to be set up for the Task and Finish Group to meet.

1115.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z