Agenda and minutes

Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER

Contact: Democratic Services Department 

Items
No. Item

133.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Nicola Mahoney.

134.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members of the Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct.   In addition, Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.  

 

Note:

 

a.    Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and

 

b.    Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.

 

Minutes:

None were received.

135.

Performance Report - Corporate Plan Priority Area 7 - A Sustainable Environment pdf icon PDF 146 KB

See attached report

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Ewan McWilliams and Sian Lyons-Nicholas to the meeting.

 

The Chair handed over to Ewan McWilliams who went through the report and the following questions on the Performance Report were raised by committee and were responded to as far as possible by the appropriate officer.

 

·         Why have we only got information up to December should March 2016 information also be available now? 

·         Do we know a timescale of when the information is likely to come out?

·         At 5.1 A Sustainable Environment, you have the figures for Merthyr Tydfil 2016/2017 do we have the Welsh indicators for us to know how we need to improve?

·         Do we have our own figures that we are putting forward to the Welsh Assembly and could these be summited as our projected ones?

·         What are the Welsh Government indicators and figures?

·         Page 9 of the report wrong information on Street lighting renewal project.

 

The Chair suggested that a Task and Finish Group be set up to look into the grievances about street lighting issues and to take this forward with the service area. The Task and Finish Group would also obtain the latest performance data on recycling and landfill targets.

 

·         On fly tipping incidents cleared within 5 working days, is 100% correct?

·         Have you managed to catch any offenders yet using the cameras?

·         How many people have been caught on Camera?

·         Are their individual names going to be put in the Merthyr Express?

·         Highway cleanliness and fly tipping how do you separate these figures?

·         There are a lot of community forum groups being set up how can we monitor what they achieve and can we use these figures?

 

The Committee Members expressed their concerns that no officers from the directorate were present to address some of the questions, other than the performance department officers. The Chair agreed to e-mail the Leader and Chief Executive to express the committees concerns.

 

The Chair referred the Committee to the two recommendations, 2.1 was noted but could not be debated as the appropriate officers were not in attendance; and 2.2 happy with the format but to add a budget line to keep track on costs throughout different departments.

 

The Chair thanked Ewan McWilliams and Sian Lyons-Nicholas for attending.

 

 

136.

Scrutiny Report - Overcoming the Blight of Fly-tipping and Litter in the County Borough pdf icon PDF 251 KB

The Chair presented the attached scrutiny report to Cabinet on 29th June 2016. An update on Cabinets response to the report and its recommendations will be provided.

Minutes:

The Chair informed Committee that on 29th June he attended Cabinet to present the Scrutiny Report – Overcoming the Blight of Fly-tipping and Litter in the County Borough which had been prepared by the Task and Finish Group. The Chair outlined the recommendations within the report and verbally read out the responses below:-

 

2.1 Dismissed; 2.2 Agreed; 2.3 Additional resources required 2.4 No resources; 2.5 Progressing; 2.6 Agreed; 2.7 Agreed; 2.8 Agreed and to be addressed in November meeting; and 2.9 on work program.

 

A report providing full responses to all the recommendations is being prepared and will be provided to Cabinet and this scrutiny committee in due course. Further discussion to take place then.

 

137.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

To receive any referrals from the other Scrutiny Committees and Audit Committee; an update from the Chair on their attendance at the Service Performance Challenge Meetings and to consider any follow up actions from the previous Meeting(s).

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no update on this item.

138.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair.

Minutes:

The Chair informed the Committee that only Item 3 - Performance Report needed to be discussed further.  The comments from Committee Members on their disappointed that there were no Officers or Cabinet Members present would be relayed by the Chair to the Leader and Chief Executive on behalf of the Committee.

 

Item 3 – Performance Report – Corporate Plan Priority Area 7 – A Sustainable Environment to be re-agended for the next meeting.

139.

Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 171 KB

See attached report.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair informed the Committee that he had attended a meeting to discuss the portfolio and risk areas and where the committee could be focusing its attention for the next 12 months.  The Chair advised that a draft work program has been drawn up and committee members were satisfied to take this forward.

 

In relation to areas for consideration the following questions were raised.

 

·         Are Highways & grit moving to Abercynon?

·         Possible loss of contracts.

·         Possible loss of jobs and funding?

·         Head of the Valleys contract why haven’t we bid for this?

 

Resolved that:-

A Task in Finish Group to be set up to directly discuss these concerns; the recycling and landfill targets; and Members’ grievances about street lighting issues with officers and to feed back to committee members.  It was agreed that the Chair, Councillor Bill Smith and Councillor Howard Barrett should make up this group and the Chair to set up a date with the Highways Department.

 

140.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z