Agenda and minutes

Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER

Items
No. Item

660.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Nicola Mahoney.

661.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

Councillor W R Smith declared his interest in Item 3 of the Agenda - Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust, as he is a Member of the Leisure Trust and left the meeting.

662.

Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust pdf icon PDF 111 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Richard Marsh, Jane Sellwood, Wendy Groves and Janet Morgan to the meeting and referred the committee to the presentation and handed over to Richard Marsh.

 

Richard Marsh then outlined in detail the information within the presentation, financial update, added value and general success of the Trust.  Richard Marsh then handed over to Jane Sellwood who informed on how the Libraries are performing.  Wendy Groves then informed on how the leisure centres were performing.  Richard Marsh then informed on how the Museum was performing.  The Chair thanked Richard Marsh, Jane Sellwod and Wendy Grove and the following questions were raised by the Committee:-

 

·         Menshed’s how do we get this across to the communities that you think are going to be involved?

·         You say that you have generated more income than ever before, what does the Trust attribute the increases in income generation at Merthyr Tydfil Leisure?

·         There is no mention of expenditure in the presentation; how is the expenditure at Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust for 2015/16 compared with 2014/15?

·         You say you reduced the number of agency workers and took on more permanent staff.  Is it mainly the agency staff that you are taking on as permanent workers?

·         Are there any more facilities that are still under Council control that could be transferred to the Trust?

·         Playing fields were discussed originally to go over to the Trust has there been any more thought on that which could help out the Community Councils?

·         Local Community Centres also need assistance is there any thought on trying to help them improve things?

·         What formal monitoring arrangements are in place between the Council and the Trust?

·         What is the Leisure Trust doing to reduce the subsidy in terms of the management fee from the authority?

·         The presentations paints a positive picture within the Leisure Trust, are there any areas of the Leisure Trust that give you cause for concern?

 

The Committee agreed the recommendations within the report.

 

The Chair thanked Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust for attending.  The Chair also congratulated the Trust on all the good work that they have been doing.

 

Councillor Bill Smith re-entered the Council Chamber.

 

663.

Performance Report - Engineering & Traffic and Highways pdf icon PDF 238 KB

To consider report of the Chief Officer Neighbourhood Services.

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed Kevin Davies, Darren Chafe and Cheryllee Evans to the meeting and referred the Committee to the report and handed over to Kevin Davies who outlined the difference between the two sections Engineering & Traffic being his responsibility and Highways being Darren Chaffe’s. 

 

Darren Chaffe then read out the summary of the report and the following questions were raised by the Committee:-

 

·         You inspect highway bridges do you also inspect the subways?

·         What is the cost of inspection of the subways and could you do this every two years?

·         Have you got an action plan of when these subways will be back filled and if there is a Right of Way through the subway can this be altered?

·         Some parts of the land are shared with Merthyr Housing Association, can we share this cost?

·         Can footpaths be looked at in certain areas?

·         Run off of water is that a result of the fact that we are down one gulley sucker?

·         You used to go out on specific days in some areas; do you now only go out when a gully is blocked?

·         When the highway inspections goes out to check areas and records a fault, when they go out to repair it do they also carry out repairs along that stretch of road?

 

Councillor John McCarthy left the meeting.

 

·         You say that currently 7 (out of 22) Primary Schools are not receiving road safety training.  How do you intend to get these seven schools on board?

·         You say that 1190 highways complaints were received from the public and 97.22% were responded to within 5 working day, how long after that do you see that the job is completed?

·         Most complaints are about potholes is the machine now working?

·         Street lighting are we 100% completed?

·         What funding’s have we saved?

·         Have we had any more complaints?

·         Survey of dark areas of each individual wards has this be done?

 

The Committee agreed the recommendation within the report.

 

 

 

 

 

 

664.

Highways and Engineering update pdf icon PDF 96 KB

To consider report of the Chief Officer Neighbourhood Services.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair handed over to Darren Chaffe who read out the summary of the report and the following questions were raised by the Committee:-

 

·         How much do we have to pay to RCT for using their depot?

·         Satellite offices were being looking into top end of the borough has this been done?

·         Do we own land by Lidl and wouldn’t this site be big enough?

·         Will the vehicles be refuelled in Abercynon?

·         Annual rent, is this long term or short term agreement?

 

The Committee agreed the recommendation within the report.

 

The Chair thanked of officers for attending.

665.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

To receive an update from the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair has not received anything, but Road Safety should be referred to Councillor Lisa Mytton Learning and LAESCYP Scrutiny Committee.

666.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there are no action points.

667.

Scrutiny Work Programme 2016-17 pdf icon PDF 138 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Highways to be put into work program for 2017.  Next meeting 30th January 2017 outside agencies need to be invited.

 

Chair to meet with Ellis Cooper and Cheryllee Evans to discuss the Fly-tipping / Litter meeting.

 

Bring 13th March forward.

668.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

To receive an update from the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.

 

Howard Jones advised the Committee of a joint meeting on 18th January 2017 to discuss the budget proposals.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z