Agenda and minutes

Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER. View directions

Items
No. Item

655.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received Councillor Kevin Gibbs and Ethan Lewys Scriven, Youth Forum Representative.

 

The Chair advised that Councillor H Barrett (Portfolio Member) was unable to attend the meeting.

656.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No Declarations of Interest were made.

657.

Environmental Wellbeing (EW 1) - Communities protect, enhance and promote our natural environment and countryside pdf icon PDF 225 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed newly appointed Co-optee John McCarthy to the meeting.

 

Cherylee Evans referred Committee to the report and in particular referred to The Wellbeing of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 and our contribution to the Wellbeing Goals.

 

The Officers then referred to the following projects and responded in detail to the following questions that were raised by the Committee:-

 

Preparation of an Air Quality Management Area Action Plan

 

·         Clarification was sought regarding how poor air quality affects residents, what safeguards do we have in place and what investigations have been made regarding the health of residents.

 

·         How will traffic flows be managed.

 

·         Is there any dialogue with Public Health Wales.

 

·         What consideration has been given to the effect traffic diversion will have on refuse collection.

 

·         What effect will Trago Mills have on the volume of traffic and air quality.

 

·         What are the effects of reduced staffing capacity and are there any contingencies in budget.

 

·         Whether the views of the residents and business owners will be sought before the conclusion of the Action Plan.

 

 

Carbon Management Plan

 

·         Deferred as Officer not present.

 

Query was raised regarding the appointment of the Technical Energy Officer and the potential savings that this post could make.

 

Furniture reuse

 

·         Clarification was sought whether there is a charge to residents for the collection of furniture, if we were relying on residents to advise of quality of furniture and whether there had been sufficient publicity.

 

·         Whether staff at the skip site looked at quality of furniture before it was deposited into skips.

 

·         Clarification was sought as to what is suitable for bric a brac recycling.

 

·         Are other Local Authorities running similar schemes.

 

·         How long does this partnership last and is there potential for free collection of furniture in future as with other Local Authorities.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of the report be noted.

 

658.

Fly Tipping Update including Prosecutions and Penalties pdf icon PDF 418 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Paul Jones referred Committee to the report and in particular to the questions previously raised in relation to flytipping, namely:-

 

·         How many prosecutions to date

·         Cases currently being dealt with

·         Update on backlog of evidence

·         Understanding of evidence to prosecute

·         Publishing of successful prosecutions

 

The following questions/observations were raised by Committee and were responded to in detail by the Officers:-

 

·         Why have only ten prosecutions gone to Court.

·         How long will it take to get through backlog of 190 cases/how many of these are likely to go to Court.

·         Will new Welsh Government legislation be used to help reduce the numbers.

·         What will be the role of enforcement officers.

·         With regard to s.34 Notices, are we covering all the businesses that we need to.

·         Clarification sought on what is a s.34 Notice.

·         Is the issue of litter strewn on premises raised when buildings are visited and if so, do we have much success resolving the problem.

·         Where is all the rubbish from these businesses going.

·         Are the two enforcement officers now fully operational.

·         Are surveillance cameras currently being used/footage used in Court.

·         Is flytipping on private land still an issue.

·         How much money did we receive from FPNs that were issued by 3Gs and since being back in house how many FPNs have been issued.

·         When 3Gs were employed, were they any reductions in flytipping.

·         With regard to s.34 work have businesses taken up refuse or recycling contracts with Local Authority.

·         Are contracts checked as suitable for purpose.

·         Clarification sought on what is a deliberate offender.

·         If a business doesn’t have a duty of care in place do they automatically get an FPN and how much is that?

·         Are outside waste companies checked to ensure they are following welsh guidelines.

·         Clarification sought on percentages of flytipping on private land.

·         What is the difference between successful procecutions and FPNs in relation to s.34 offences.

·         Were the Council involved with 3Gs when littering prosecutions were served and if so, were we reimbursed.

·         What timeframe does the FPNs served cover.

·         Are warning letters for new or repeat offenders.

·         Have you found many re-offending.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of the report be noted.

659.

Referral from Cabinet Member; Capital Project Scrutiny Referral (Brandy Bridge scheme / Road Slip - South of Pontygwaith) pdf icon PDF 336 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Councillor Andrew Barry referred Committee to the report and provided a brief summary.

 

The Chair introduced Carwyn Morris to the meeting to give the presentations on the Brandy Bridge scheme and Road Slip – South of Pontygwaith.

 

The following questions were raised by Committee and responded to in detail by Carwyn Morris.

 

Brandy Bridge scheme

 

·         How confident are we that the current repairs will last.

·         Are there any other bridges needing this kind of repair.

·         How sure are we that this is the final cost.

·         If problems had been brought to our attention 10 years after the bridge was built, could we have taken the construction company to court.

·         Inaccuracies of information and whether this related to tenders or other information.

·         Whether the 300K overspend could have been foreseen.

·         Why were the problems not identified in 2015 when the concrete was tested.

·         Are the Local Authority seen an easy target for work that is started as it has to be completed.

·         Are we confident that this bridge will support the new housing schemes and associated volume of heavy transporter traffic and will there be annual checks/inspections and money put aside for future repairs.

·         Has there been a reduction in inspection funding.

·         If budget was increased could this save money with in-house work being done.

 

Road Slip – South of Pontygwaith

 

·         Is this the final cost.

·         When did the department know about slag material.

·         Why wasn’t steps taken to remove the slag material.

·         Was contractor in 2010 made aware of slag material.

·         Are future problems anticipated.

·         Was drainage installed correctly.

·         Could officers and tenderers have foreseen problems.

·         What happens if 1920’s water main cracks.

·         Did the works BT undertake on ducts cause any problems.

·         Have bore holes identified any problems.

 

The Chair thanked Carwyn Morris for the presentations and suggested that a task and finish group be set up and asked for volunteers. 

 

Cllrs Malcolm Colbran, John Thomas and Declan Sammon agreed to sit on the task and finish group.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of the report be noted.

 

 

660.

Update on Carbon & Energy Management Activities pdf icon PDF 229 KB

To consider the attached report.

Minutes:

The Chair advised that due to Mick Campbell’s absence that this item be deferred until the next meeting.

 

Resolved that:

 

The item be deferred and brought back to the next Committee meeting.

 

661.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

Minutes:

The Chair asked whether the street lighting and cleansing report scheduled for the 9th April could be brought forward to the 26 February 2018 meeting.

662.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair.

Minutes:

The Chair and the Committee reflected on the items discussed at the meeting.

 

The Chair requested that future reports be presented on each item to be discussed.

 

663.

Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 148 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Howard Jones suggested that an update from the task and finish group be discussed at the next meeting and requested any specific items to be discussed need to be sent to him beforehand.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of the report be noted.

664.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z