Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS
The Chair welcomed Mr P Star, Co-opted Member to his first Scrutiny Meeting where he was in attendance as an Observer.
Apologies for absence
No apologies for absence were received as all Committee Members were present.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred the Committee to the Draft Forward Work Programme 2020/21.
The Committee were advised of the following proposed amendments to the Work Programme:
Community Asset Transfer Policy – To be moved from 2 November 2020 to 7 December 2020
Fly Tipping – To be moved from 7 December 2020 to 2 November 2020
A short update report on Fly Tipping to be presented at the 18 January 2021 Meeting
Energy Saving / Carbon Management – To be moved from 1 March 2021 to 7 December 2020
These amendments were then agreed by the Committee.
Resolved subject to the foregoing that:
The Draft Forward Work Programme 2020/21 be approved.
To consider the attached report
Judith Jones Chief Officer Planning and Neighbourhood Services referred the Committee to the ‘Coronavirus Pandemic – Update on Recovery and Activity’ report.
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by the Officers:
· Street Cleansing – Is ‘area working’ still in place
· Paragraph 5.2 – Tidy Towns – Update requested on Funding – What in monetary terms is the financial impact – Timeline
· Paragraph 6.1 – Update requested on recycling targets – What is the target – What are the penalties if not met – Is tonnage collected from Health Board Premises
· Paragraph 4.2 – ‘Follow’ vehicles – Could anything have been done better – Were there any areas where staff did not reside – The difference between travelling by Public Transport
· Paragraph 4.3:
· Waste – HWRC’s – Are the current measures going to be implemented full time
· Fly – Tipping – Was the target maintained – Will there be a financial gain for an increase in cardboard
· Highways – Update on Maintenance – Will a store for materials be looked at for the future
· Cemeteries – Will it be possible to install new signs advising the direction of travel – Can enforcement be undertaken in relation to vehicles being blocked in
· Water Courses and Culverts – What are the plans for monitoring – Information for the Emergency Plan
· Paragraph 4.5 – Financial Implications – What income has been lost through Planning, Building Control and Trade Waste
· Were Covid costs included in the figures
The Chair then congratulated all the Officers and staff for the work done in lockdown. These sentiments were echoed by the Committee with congratulations being extended to all staff for the way staff had adapted to different ways of working.
The content of the report be noted.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions
Pre - Meeting Start Time
The Committee agreed that the Pre-Meeting for Committee Members would commence thirty Minutes before the start of the Committee Meeting.
Committee Start Time
It was agreed that the Scrutiny Officer contact all Committee Members regarding the start time for the Committee Meetings to obtain their views regarding amending the start time.
A Member stated that paper copies of the agenda should be available for those Committee Members that required them.
Self–Evaluation for Scrutiny Members
Sian Lyons outlined to the Committees the self-evaluation process for Scrutiny Committee Members and the process on completion of the self-evaluation.
Forward Work Programme
It was agreed that an additional column be added to the Forward Work Programme advising of the Corporate Strategy and the area(s) that the action related to.
Sian Lyons also advised in response to a request from the Chair that the titles of Officers would be included on the Forward Work Programme.
Councillor C T Jones left the Meeting at 3.21 pm.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair.
The Chair and the Committee reflected on the issues that had been considered in the Meeting.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.