Agenda and minutes

Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS

Media

Items
No. Item

311.

Apologies for absence pdf icon PDF 79 KB

Minutes:

Apologies received from Councillor Lee Davies due to other Council business.

312.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were received.

313.

Environmental Enforcement across the County Borough pdf icon PDF 442 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Paul Jones led Committee briefly through the Environmental Enforcement across the County Borough report.

 

The following questions and comments were raised by Members and answered in detailed by the Officers:

 

·       Para. 4.2 Key Indicators – Are the two members of staff full-time or part-time/how many hours do they work?

·       Page 7 – Are the number of fly-tipping reports increasing?

·       Page 8 Para. 5.1.5 – How many cases do you deal with on private land and can you confirm that there is legislation for officers to deal with this?

·       Page 8 Para. 5.1.7 – Clarity sought on what ‘waste signs’ are for and discussion on hot spots.

·       Page 8 Para. 7.3 – As dummy cameras are being used instead of the need for real cameras and taking people to Court, will a report be brought back to Committee on this matter?

·       Clarity sought on whether areas are on unregistered land or private land and how these areas can be cleared?

·       Do these new rules affect community groups picking up litter?

·       Do wardens look at what type of waste is in private gardens and do we work with landlords to deal with these issues?

·       Do probationers involved require special training/PPE/transport?

·       How many successful prosecutions have we had and where do we rank in Wales?

·       How much does it cost each year to clear fly-tipping in Merthyr Tydfil?

·       Request for updated prosecution information to be sent regularly to Committee Members.

·       Are there best practice Council’s that we could learn from?

·       Are we getting the message out to the public on successful prosecutions?

 

A member thanked the Team for all the work that they are doing.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of report be noted.

 

 

 

 

314.

Overview of Property Services pdf icon PDF 631 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the Overview of Property Services report and invited Members to ask questions.

 

The following questions and comments were raised by Members and answered in detailed by the Officers:

 

·       Request for a staffing structure to be provided to Committee.

·       Para. 5.2 What has been done to resolve the staffing issues?

·       Paras. 5.3 & 6.3 - Has the IT software needed been ordered and if so, when will it be installed and has the mechanical compliance officer post been advertised/when does that person start?

·       Para. 6.2 Clarity sought on the issues recruiting Project Manager Team Leaders and cost implications.

·       Paras. 5.4 & 6.5 – How much budget would be needed to prioritise planned maintenance projects and has this money been applied for?

·       What assistance is provided by Blaenau Gwent?

 

The Chair thanked Chris Jones for the detailed report provided.

 

Resolved that:

 

a)    The Scrutiny Committee notes the content of the report.

 

315.

Dog Fouling Public Spaces Protection Order pdf icon PDF 477 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the Dog Fouling Public Spaces Protection Order report and invited Members to ask questions.

 

The following questions and comments were raised by Members and answered in detailed by the Officers:

 

·       Clarity sought on:

-       timeframe for implementation and areas most affected

-       PSBO Notices and where they would be erected

-       dogs on sports pitches/dogs on a lead in a cemetery and whether this could be included within this Order

-       how can dog fouling notices be promoted on social media, but fly-tipping must be displayed on or near the site

-       how do we police this

-       option of uploading video evidence.

 

Resolved that:

 

a)    The Scrutiny Committee notes the content of the report.

 

316.

Fly-tipping on Unregistered Land pdf icon PDF 429 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the Fly-tipping on Unregistered Land report and invited Members to ask questions.

 

The following questions and comments were raised by Members and answered in detailed by the Officers:

 

·       Para. 5.4 – more clarity and information sought on the matter of residual waste, sorting of waste and bottom ash.

·       Para. 5.5 & 5.6 – waste deposited on unregistered land/request to enlarge on the figures provided, what stage does NRW get involved?

·       Page 24 Para. 5.2 – Policy on unregistered land - clarity sought on what is the responsibility of the local authority?

·       Page 25 - If we accept current resources, will this put undue additional pressures on a very small section of staff?

·       What would be the impact (numbers of days) on fly-tipping?

·       Can the local authority apply to the land registry to take ownership of unregistered land?

·       How many parcels of land are unregistered within the County Borough?

·       Comment – Clearer information needed explaining the rules to the public on the difference between unregistered and registered land.

·       Can the money mentioned in the report be used to provide support to the enforcement team?

 

Resolved that:

 

a)    That the contents of this report be noted.

 

b)    The Committee’s preferred option is 6.2 i) To employ an additional operative (Grade 3 approx. £26,528), and vehicle (£655pm + fuel) to allow us to maintain our KPI level.

317.

Forward Work Programme 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 621 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair referred the Committee to the Forward Work Programme 2020/21.

 

The Committee agreed that nappy recycling/re-usuable nappies be included for future discussion.

 

The Committee then agreed the outstanding items for the next Committee Meetings.

 

Resolved subject to the foregoing that:

 

The Forward Work Programme be approved.

 

318.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

Minutes:

The Chair advised there were no matters to be discussed.

319.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair.

Minutes:

The Chair and the Committee reflected on the matters that had been considered at the Meeting.

 

The Chair re-confirmed the time of future meetings.

320.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

No other business was deemed urgent by the Chair.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z