Agenda and minutes

Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS

Media

Items
No. Item

525.

Apologies for absence pdf icon PDF 79 KB

Minutes:

No apologies for absence were received.

526.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

No Declarations of Interest were received.

527.

Neighbourhood Services Corporate Self Evaluation 2020-2021 pdf icon PDF 674 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Judith Jones provided a brief summary of the Neighbourhood Services Corporate Self Evaluation 2020 – 2021 report and invited questions and comments from the Committee.

 

The following questions and comments were raised and answered in detail by the Officers in attendance:-

 

Questions –

 

·       Storm Dennis – Are we on track to do all the work that needs to be done?

·       Behavioural Change Officer – What will this post do/daily tasks and will this post be filled this year?

·       Litter from Macdonalds on the Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Site – What is the plan to tackle this problem in the future?

·       Prices for recyclables have dropped – What is this percentage wise and pound wise and what impact has this had on the service?

·       How confident are you that we will hit the 70% recycling target?

·       What will we be doing to increase participation in low recycling areas?

·       Are we looking at alternatives to the blue bags that are used for plastics and cans?

·       3.4 – Can you clarify what are small electrical items?

·       3.6 – What are this year’s targets?

·       4.1 – Education in schools – no information is being received by students.

·       4.1 - What is the difference between S46 and FPN?

·       Clarity sought over the movement of the Fly Tipping Team between Directorates.

·       Is there still a necessity for kerbside recycling to be sorted at source and is there any leeway for mistakes with mixed recyclables?

·       Page 27 Background Papers – When is this likely to happen/date?

·       Page 7 – 6.0 Can you tell me more about the play equipment that is 20+ years old?

·       When will bins start to be tagged for not complying with separated recycling?

·       What is the timeframe for delivering boxes after they have been requested?

·       Can click and collect be used for recycling boxes?

·       How has the message of the new recycling rules been promoted?

 

Comments –

 

·       Hope that the various groups can start as soon as possible to support the litter pickers.

 

·       Recurring theme in background papers is lack of money and with all the new initiatives being brought in by Welsh Government, hats off to the Neighbourhood Services Department for the marvellous job being done.

 

Resolved that:

 

Scrutiny Committee Members provide officers feedback on the content of the report developed through completion of the self-evalation process.  All members present voted and agreed that the outcome is adequate.

528.

Waste Services – Improving recycling rates and vehicle breakdowns pdf icon PDF 466 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Paul Davies provided a brief summary of the Waste Services – Improving recycling rates and vehicles breakdowns report.


The following questions and comments were raised and answered in detail by the officers in attendance:

 

·       Purchase of new vehicles – can you explain what is the difference in recycling vehicles compared to those purchased in 2015?

·       Stop To Go Bins – Where will these be located and what will be done to prevent the public putting other items in them and what is the cost?

·       Page 19 – Clarity sought on the situation with Keeping Up With The Jones/number of prosecutions/red tags on bins.

·       Page 21 – 6.3 – Is this reliant on these wardens getting people to recycle correctly?

·       Were the comments provided on the flaws with vehicles taken on board by the suppliers?

·       What are the fuel savings on the new vehicles and were electric vehicles considered?

·       Skips at private residential properties – are the contents of these skips sorted and recycled?

·       Clarification sought on the process used with Keeping Up With The Jones.

·       7.3 - Trial curbside collection of plastic film – Was the first trial successful?

·       Is the cost of taking people to court covered by the fines issued?

 

The Chair thanked the officers for the report and answering the questions raised by Committee.


Resolved that:


The content of the report be discussed and noted.

529.

Charging For Wheeled Bins pdf icon PDF 313 KB

To consider the attached report

Minutes:

Paul Davies provided a brief summary of the Charging for Wheeled Bins report.

 

The following questions and comments were raised and answered in detail by the officers in attendance:

 

Questions:

 

·       Clarity sought over process regarding stolen bins and whether if a crime number is provided, do they still have to pay?

·       Clarity sought on charges on yellow top bins required on medical grounds.

·       Barcodes on bins – Is this something we could look at?

·       3.2 – What do you do with the bins recollected (where there have been two bins at one property)?

·       How many people have not paid the £15 charge after requesting a bin?

 

Comments:

 

Issue with wording in report, comes across as condescending/negative using terms like ‘taking more responsibility’, when not always the customers fault if the bin has been stolen.

 

Lack of empathy by the Local Authority when people are sick and requesting yellow top bins on medical grounds.

 

Can an option be added on the website when requesting a new bin for the reason why? e.g. stolen, broken, moved house.  This would provide a better understanding of what is happening to the bins.

 

The Chair thanked the officer for the report provided.

 

Resolved that:

 

The content of the report be discussed and noted.

530.

Forward Work Programme 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 278 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair referred the Committee to the Forward Work Programme 2020/21.

 

The following matters were discussed:

 

·       Clarity over future items and how these are taken forward following AGM

·       Nappy Recycling

·       Time and date of future meetings

·       PSPO’s

·       Litter collection by community groups

 

Resolved that:

 

a)    Committee consider and reflect on the topics scrutinised throughout the year.

 

b)    The Committee discuss development of the Work Programme 2021-2022 confirming the approach to be taken to develop.

 

c)    The Scrutiny Officer to send an email asking Committee for ideas of what should be added to the Forward Work Programme 2021-2022.

 

d)    The Scrutiny Officer to organise a meeting for the Chair, Vice Chair, Cabinet Member and Chief Officer to discuss the Forward Work Programme 2021-2022.

531.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

Minutes:

The Chair advised there were no matters to be discussed.

 

532.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair.

Minutes:

The Chair and the Committee reflected on the matters that had been considered at the meeting.

533.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

No other business was deemed urgent by the Chair.

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z