Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor B Carter, Councillor D Isaac, Councillor P Williams Cabinet Member and Mrs A Harris Co-opted Member.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no update on this item.
To consider the attached report
The Chair welcomed Mark Thomas to the Meeting.
Mark Thomas then led the Committee in detail through the ‘Update on Public Services Board and related activity linked to the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act’ report.
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by Mark Thomas:
· Paragraph 1.1 of the report – What are the financial costs to the Council and what are the major areas that the Council has to look at – Reassurance sought that what is being said is being done – Is the Council on track and what are the timelines
· Paragraph 5 of the report – Where we are now – Is there a forward plan for Members – How will it fit in to the workload – Plan required for when Meetings will be held and timescales – How will other organisations fit in – What will be on the agenda – Election in May 2017
· Paragraph 5.4 of the report – How many Councillors from each of the Authorities will sit on the Joint Scrutiny Committee – Have Councillors been identified – Nominations
· The impact of Joint Scrutiny on Co-opted Members – Will Co-opted Members form part of the Joint Committee – How will this be determined
· The impact and diversity of Wellbeing – The impact on the existing structure of Scrutiny – A lot of cross themes – Key communication
· Paragraph 4.7 of the report – Was Health involved in the discussions
· Referral to the Public Service Board and vice versa
(a) The progress made in establishing the Cwm Taf Public Service Board be noted
(b) The progress made in developing the Well Being assessment be noted
(c) The arrangements for Scrutinising the Pubic Services Board be noted
To consider report of the Chief Executive.
The Chair welcomed Kerry O’Donovan and Huw Owen to the Meeting.
Kerry O’Donovan led the Committee in detail through the ‘Equalities and Welsh Language Performance Report – Organisational Support’ report.
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by the Officers:
· Paragraph 8 of the report – What was the response from the Commissioner
· Appendix 1 Data - Explanation requested of the figures – Public perception
· Costs of non-compliance – Reports in Welsh
· How much is the Welsh Language Policy costing
· How many Welsh speakers are in Merthyr Tydfil
· What is the percentage of Welsh speakers
· Paragraph 5.5 - MAGNET – How many were on the Task and Finish Group – Was there a representative of each of the seven groups
· Paragraph 5.8 and 5.9 of the report – Community Engagement - How was quality and success measured - What tools were used - What was the turnout
· Social Media Platform
· What is the Council doing to be innovative
· Was this issue on Facebook – Twitter
· Are there Media Officers assigned to Social Media
· What was the success of this
Councillor L Mytton left the Meeting at 5.20 pm.
(a) The judgements and evaluations be noted
(b) The progress made and next steps in addressing Equalities and the Welsh Language be noted
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair.
The Chair and the Committee reflected on the issues that had been discussed at the Meeting.
To consider the attached report
The Committee considered and agreed the Work Programme.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.