Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor J Amos, Councillor D Roberts, Alison Harris Co-opted Member and Kaitlin Sutton Youth Forum Representative.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider the attached report
The Chair welcomed Ian Davy Chief Executive VAMT and the Officers to the Meeting.
Alyn Owen and Ryan Barry referred the Committee to the ‘Local Authority Support to the Third Sector Services’ report and together with Ian Davy responded in detail to the following questions raised on the report:
· Staff numbers – What funding is there to support – What are the resources –Large piece of work to be undertaken – What is the timescale from start to finish
· Could funding be sought by the Third Sector
· Will the draft Strategy be delivered on time
· How are the views of all Organisations being represented
· The diversity of the Third Sector
· The relationship between the Third Sector and the Council – How to represent Communities
· Common themes and threads in the Delivery Plan
· When the overall Strategy is in place will there be Public Consultation
· Funding of the Third Sector across Wales – How are other Councils responding – Are there areas of good practice – Is there Communication
· Will actions be fed back to the Working Group
· How will Social Enterprise work with the Third Sector
· Checklist – Funding – Why was this figure chosen
· Are Social Outcomes part of the Action Plan – What each Organisation does
· Paragraph 5.1 – How and why did some Organisation have Contracts – Are they reviewed
Alyn Owen advised that a financial breakdown from each Department would be brought back to Committee.
The Chair then suggested that Committee Members be invited to attend Meetings of the Working Group.
The Committee then agreed that Councillor C Davies and Councillor W R Smith be invited to attend Meetings of the Working Group.
The Chair then suggested the following for discussion at the Working Group:
· Exploration of outsourcing
· More detailed information on financial Contracts and links to Social Outcomes
· How the infrastructure and health of an Organisation is assessed
The contents of the report be noted.
Councillor C Davies left the Meeting at 4.25 pm and returned at 4.26 pm.
The Chair then thanked Ian Davy and the Officers for attending.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair and the Committee reflected in detail on the issues that had been considered at the Meeting.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred the Committee to the ‘Scrutiny Committee Work Programme’ report and welcomed Councillor A Barry Cabinet Member to the Meeting.
The Chair also advised that representatives of the Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust had been scheduled to attend the Meeting to give an update on progress and performance in achieving stated targets and outcomes together with a summary overview of the current financial position of the Trust.
Councillor A Barry then gave an update to the Committee on the Trust and responded in detail to questions raised by the Committee on the current position of the Trust.
Councillor D Sammon then stated that he was a Council representative on the Leisure Trust.
The Members were then advised that the Trust had been invited to attend the next Audit Committee Meeting.
The Chair then proposed that a joint Meeting be held with Audit Committee to meet with representatives of the Trust.
The Committee then agreed to a joint Meeting with the Audit Committee to receive an update from representatives of the Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust.
The Members also agreed the Work Programme for the Committee.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.