Agenda and minutes

Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER

Items
No. Item

985.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

No apologies for absence as all members were present.

986.

Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct

 

Note:

 

(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and

 

(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave

Minutes:

Jeff Beard (Co-optee) declared an interest in Item 5 (Statement of Wellbeing and Focus on the Future:  Wellbeing in our Community) in relation to the  involvement of our Communities, as he is a member of the Bedlinog Community Council.

987.

Recommendations made by external regulators (WAO, CSSIW, ESTYN, WG Commissioners etc.) pdf icon PDF 397 KB

To consider report of the Deputy Chief Executive

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillor Gareth Lewis arrived at 4.05 pm.

 

Gary Evans gave an update to members on the recommendations made by external regulators, as outlined in the report.

 

Gary Evans then responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee:

 

·         In relation to the AAP system being monitored on a longer term basis including the reporting of other agency reports and recommendations  -  how will the decision be made by this Authority and how will Scrutiny be kept updated on progress?

 

·         Clarification and lack of detail/context listed at Appendix 2.   Need additional information on recommendations.

 

·         Updating Appendix 2 to clearly show progress on reports from the start to completion. 

 

·         What has been done to address the role of the Committees when receiving reports and ensuring there is appropriate challenge?  Also how do we measure challenge?

 

·         Clarification on the weaknesses with the existing AAP system and which departments have been piloted?

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         Committee members note the content of the revised procedure (attached at Appendix A to the report).

 

·         Monitoring of the AAP system to be included in this Committee’s work programme for September 2019. 

 

·         Gary Evans to arrange a meeting with Councillor Bill Smith and Lisa Curtis-Jones in relation to reports/recommendations specific to Social Services.

988.

Working Life pdf icon PDF 924 KB

To consider report of the Chief Officer Community Regeneration

Minutes:

Alyn Owen and Chris Long took members through the Working Life Report and responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee on the report:

 

·         Clarification on why several key performance indicators for 2017/18  (Appendix 2 of the report) are listed as pending.

 

·         What is the current stage of development in relation to the Crucible Master Plan. 

 

·         Clarification on the achieved targets, e.g. the reduction of licensed premises and taxi licensing spot checks.   Are these reductions due to shortage of resources within the department?

 

·         Clarification on the reduction in the homelessness KPI.

 

·         Possible development of the Hoover Site.

 

·         What lessons were learnt from 2017/18 in relation to the evaluation of performance?

 

·         Comparison of data in relation to the percentage of participants who gain a qualification on completion of an ‘out of work’ training programme as stated in Table 1 on page 22 and KPI on page 26.

 

·         Clarification on the number of business births and business deaths.

 

·         Clarification on post-16, i.e. joint initiatives with High Schools and College, apprenticeships and qualifications.

 

·         Is consideration being given to the enterprise element in the New Curriculum for 2020?  

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         The contents of the report be noted and feedback given to officers to enable them to undertake future service planning and delivery discussions.

 

·         The Scrutiny Officer to send details to co-optees on the Crucible Project

 

·         Alyn Owen to provide further details to the Committee on the reduction of licensed premises and licensing taxi spot checks.

 

·         Future reporting on Working life to also focus on the “post-16” strand.

 

 

Harvey Jones left the meeting at 5.25 pm.

989.

Statement of Wellbeing and Focus on the Future: Wellbeing in our Community pdf icon PDF 626 KB

To consider report of the Deputy Chief Executive

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Andrew Mogford took members through the Statement of Wellbeing and Focus on the Future report and responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee on the report:

 

·         Do we  receive feedback from the PSB and public bodies that work with communities to develop local objectives. 

 

·         Involving our Communities  -  should communities consider the role of community councils. 

 

RESOLVED that: 

 

·         Future reports to clearly link the objectives to the appropriate priorities. 

 

·         Enquiries be made with Democratic Services in relation to the development of Community Councils. 

 

·         Andrew Mogford to provide further details to members of the committee on any additional trials/initiatives being carried out in relation to developing Community Action.

990.

Work Programme 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 384 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Ewan Wilkins-Campbell left the meeting at 5.50 pm.

 

The Chair referred the Committee to the draft Work Programme for 2019-20 as detailed in the report.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

·         The work programme be finalised after May’s meeting.

 

·         The work programme be kept under review for the coming year.

 

·         Further Items to be included in this work programme:

-       AAP System

-       Working Life

991.

Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there was no update on this item.

992.

Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair and the Committee reflected in detail on the items considered at the meeting. 

993.

Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair

Minutes:

The Chair requested that consideration be given to a change of starting time for this Committee, but it was agreed that at this stage the time should  remain at 4.00 pm. 

 

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z