Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from E Wilkins-Campbell Youth Forum Representative.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred to the ‘Work Programme 2019/20’ report and advised that in Paragraph 2.1 of the report it should read 3.7 and not 3.2.
The Chair further advised that she had met with the other Committee Chairs and the Co-opted Members with a view to making sure that this year’s Programme was fully inclusive and that the Committee were capturing anything from the other strands of the Scrutiny Committees.
The Chair stated that there had been good contributions and thanked the Committee.
The Chair also referred to Minutes of Meetings and recommended that Minutes of previous Meetings be included as a standard item on all Committee agendas to ensure follow up of previous actions and that these Minutes would be for information purposes.
The Draft Work Programme be approved.
To consider the attached report
The Chair welcomed Alyn Owen, Chris Hole and Deb Ryan-Newton to the Meeting.
Alyn Owen then referred the Committee to the ‘Tackling Poverty’ report and together with the Officers responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee:
· Paragraph 5.2 – Explanation requested on this Paragraph – What are the 10 Grants – Not enough information on the sums of money – How can Scrutiny obtain more information – For example what is the input of Family First – More information needed on where and how on support
· Where is the Evaluation and what is the impact
Alyn Owen then suggested a Workshop with each Operational Lead for these Grants with an explanation of what the Programme does
· Paragraph 5.3 – Rent Smart Wales – Explanation requested on how this is part of Tackling Poverty
· Strategy – Paragraph 3.1 – What funding is given – Further information sought on how much is received and what work is undertaken
· Restriction on the flexibility to move funds around – What is the criteria from the Welsh Government on moving monies between funds
· Strategy – The reason why is it not signed by the Cabinet Member
· The impact of Universal Credit on Poverty – Why is this not included in the Strategy
· The impact of having to wait for money that could lead to Homelessness
· What approach does the Council take if it is owed money - The impact on Council Tax – The duty to collect but chasing money that can’t be paid – The impact on the Strategy
· If the Strategy has meaning it has to impact on the whole of the Council if the Tackling Poverty agenda is going to be delivered
· What is the name of the new Single Advice Fund
Chris Hole advised that he would circulate to all Councillors a Briefing Note on the Single Advice Fund
· Information requested on what the funds are
· Homelessness Prevention – Is this the only fund for this or is there funding elsewhere
· Strategy – Regeneration – 250 what? (The word Businesses missing)
· Strategy – Definition of Poverty – Vision – Where did this definition come from
· Strategy – Medium Term Objectives – Indoor and Outdoor Facilities Strategy – Pitch Fees – Is it counter productive
· Who are the staff in post to give advice
· Grants for 2021/2022 - There should be training for all Councillors for what happens if Grants are not continued
· Paragraph 5.2 – Ten Grants – What Performance Management Framework is used – How can Performance be monitored if there are ten teams to manage the Grants – How does it relate to the Local Framework in terms of the Strategy
· Very complex issue to understand
· Our Vision – If Grants are taken away where does this leave the Council with the Local Vision
· Paragraph 7.2/7.3 – What is the differentiation between the three themes – Explanation of the event
· Is it too early for the Strategy with so much work to be done
· What ... view the full minutes text for item 20.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions
The Chair advised that there would be a standing agenda item on future agendas in relation to follow up on actions from the previous Meeting.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair and the Committee reflected in detail on the issues that had been discussed at the Meeting.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.