Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for Absence
No apologies for absence were received as all Members were Present.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider the attached report
The Chair welcomed Jane Sellwood to the Meeting and referred to the ‘Welsh National Library Standards Update’ report and the recommendations as contained within the report.
Jane Sellwood the led the Committee in detail through the report and responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee:
· Executive Summary – Formal Training Sessions - Who is in receipt of these sessions and what is the format
· Overall Staffing Levels – Is this a Professional Librarian Post – What is the impact of having one less qualified Librarian in the Service
· Q1-13 – How are volunteers appointed – How are they sought and what do volunteers do
· Details on the ‘Mobile – Home Links Delivery Service’
· Paragraph 3.4 – Details requested on staff, qualifications, staff vacancies, salaries and recruitment
· National situation in relation to recruitment of Librarians
· Volunteer hours
· Details requested in relation to increased usage of facilities e.g in relation to the roll out of Universal Credit
· What income generating work does the Service do
· Costs of the building etc – Sustainability
· Paragraph 5 – Future Direction – What are the future plans in relation to: schools and volunteers
· Links with other agencies in relation to volunteers
· Paragraph 2.2 – Quality Indicators with targets – Clarification requested
The Chair then thanked Jane Sellwood for the update to the Committee and referred to the question of sustainability and recommended that an invitation be extended to Jane Sellwood for a further update to the Committee in twelve months.
(a) The information on feedback received from Welsh Government be received
(b) The update report be accepted
(c) Jane Selwood be invited to attend a Meeting in twelve months time to update the Committee.
To consider report of the Interim Deputy Chief Executive
The Chair welcomed Councillor G Thomas, Alyn Owen, Chris Long and Deb Ryan-Newton to the Meeting.
The Officers then referred in detail to the ‘Working Life’ report and responded in detail to the following questions raised by the Committee:
· Duplication with Cynon Taf
· Building Apprenticeships
· Tourism – Visitor numbers – Location signage for the Tourist Information Centre
· Paragraph 4.4 – Clarification sought in relation to Post 16 education qualifications – How do the Officers engage with the College - Explanation requested in relation to what the plans are
· Paragraph 5.5 – Strategic Economic Regeneration and Tourism Board – Who are the Members – Who do they report to - What is the remit of the Board
· The need for building skills – Apprenticeships
· Is there any extra funding for Bus Shelters throughout the County Borough
(Chris Long advised that a report could be brought back to Committee when the Mapping exercise had been concluded) (This matter could be considered by the Neighbourhood Services, Planning and Countryside Scrutiny Committee if more appropriate)
· Number of business births
· Duplication of work with Cwm Taf – As a result of the work undertaken is there more synergy and is it more streamlined
Councillor G Thomas also updated the Committee in relation to ‘Working Life’.
Jeff Beard and Clare Payne left the Meeting at 5.10 pm.
Councillor J Amos and Councillor H R Jones left the Meeting at 5.25 pm.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred the Committee to the ‘Work Programme 2019/20’ report and updated the Committee in relation to a Meeting where the work programme had been refocused and outlined in detail the amendments to the programme for the January Meeting.
The Chair also advised that the item on the Leisure Trust would be considered as part of a Workshop and not as a Committee agenda item and outlined in detail the format for this Workshop.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions
Maria Purnell updated the Committee in relation to items for the January Committee Meeting.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair and the Committee reflected on the issues that had been considered at the Meeting.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.