Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence received from Councillor K Moran and Maureen Harris (Co-optee).
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members of this Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct. In addition, Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
a. Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and
b. Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.
No declarations of interest were made.
See attached report
Joe Colsey took the Committee through the report and highlighted the key points as follows:
· School Governance Strategy.
· The key areas identified for development:
Ø Governing bodies focus on key priorities of school improvement.
Ø Appropriate and effective level of challenge by Governors through questioning.
Ø Quality of information provided to Governors by Headteachers.
· School Governance Strategy Action Plan.
· The position in 2012 regarding School Governance in Merthyr Tydfil
· Key actions currently undertaken to support Governing Bodies and their impact.
· Where we want to be to ensure that the leadership, including Governance, of all Schools is good or better.
· What we need to do next to develop the key areas identified.
· Termly Headteacher Report.
Officers provided advice and background information in relation to the following questions from the Committee:
· In relation to members of Governing Bodies being involved in developing the strategy to improve the effectiveness of governing bodies - have you been involved with any member of the Governing Bodies and, if so, what was their contribution?
· Clarification on the E-Learning Training for Governors.
· Clarification on the effectiveness of Governors.
· Does the Authority have an overarching Policy for Attendance?
· Reasons for non attendance of Governors and receiving feedback on these non attendance.
· A breakdown of the percentage of attendance for the different categories of Governors, e.g. Community Governors, LA Governors, Parent Governors etc.
· Clarification on the Governors’ Wales Bronze Quality Mark.
· Information for New Governors.
· The contents of the report and the School Governance Strategy attached at Appendix 1 be noted.
· Members receive a breakdown of the percentage of attendance for the different categories of Governors.
See attached report
Dorothy Haines took the Committee through the report and highlighted the key points as follows:
· Key areas identified for development on improving partnership working, namely:
Ø Collaboration between service providers within MTCBC.
Ø Collaboration with other Councils and Organisations.
Ø Collaboration between Schools as a key driver for improvement
· Where we want to be to ensure that co-production, collaboration and partnership working gives the greatest impact to improving outcomes.
· What we need to do next in relation to the key areas for development.
The Committee notes the contents of the report.
See attached report.
Dorothy Haines took members through the draft Work Programme for 2016/17 which was handed out to members at the Committee.
The Chair advised that an informal meeting be arranged for Committee Members to discuss and develop the Work Programme for 2016/17.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions
To receive any referrals from the other Scrutiny Committees and Audit Committee; an update from the Chair on their attendance at the Service Performance Challenge Meetings and to consider any follow up actions from the previous Meeting(s).
The Chair advised there was no update in relation to this item.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair and the Committee reflected in detail on the issues that had been considered.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.