Agenda and minutes


No. Item


Apologies for absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor G Richards, and co-opted members Michael Elford and Brian Lewis.


Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct




(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and


(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave


No Declarations of Interest were received.


CTSB Annual Plan 2018-19 pdf icon PDF 132 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:


Alexandra Beckham introduced the item to the committee and highlighted the priorities for the coming year outlined in the report.


The following questions were raised by the committee and responded to in detail by the appropriate officer.


·         You say that improved sharing of information between agencies has helped protect the most vulnerable children and adults from harm, neglect and abuse. How have you been able to measure  how this has helped the most vulnerable


·         On Page 14 of the report it states a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) accommodation review has been completed to provide improved fit for purpose accommodation. Can you please explain what this is about and the reason for the review


·         Page 30 of the report states that the current budget for Business Management Unit Staff Costs and Accommodation is £187,355, can you explain to the committee how this money is spent


·         If a Health Care Professional made a phone call to MASH who would answer the call


·         Page 16 of the report you say that you need to strengthen our Performance Management Framework. What are the issues you have at the moment that you need to improve the framework


·         Page 20 of the report under the title ‘Where are we now?’ states that in 2017/18 the Board identified members of the Board to ‘Champion’ specific areas of work to ensure that updates were provided and decisions were made on any key issues affecting specific groups of vulnerable people. Can you explain this process and how it is working




The Committee notes the content of the Cwm Taf Safeguarding Board Annual Plan for 2018/19 and considers the priorities identified for 2018/19.


The Chair thanked the Officers for the report.


Wellbeing Objective: Developing Safer Communities pdf icon PDF 206 KB

To consider the attached report


Annabel Lloyd introduced the report as Lisa Curtis-Jones was unable to attend the committee.


Annabel highlighted the key performance indicators and in particular the indicators around child protection enquiries measure and asked permission of the Chair to provide more meaningful data in relation to Child Protection Conferences.


The following questions were raised by the committee and responded to in detail by the appropriate officers.


·         In relation to 5.2 of the report there are not enough performance indicators available to the committee, when will this information be made available to allow the committee to scrutinise the key performance indicators


Annabel confirmed with the Chair that she would provide an update on timescales for 2017/18 data by the end of the week.


·         Can the figures in question be produced manually for the committee


·         When will the new reporting system be fully functional


·         A member of the committee expressed concern that due diligence has to be given but without the data being made available to the committee there is no point in the report being brought to the committee, in future can figures be provided manually if such reports are provided


·         Can you confirm that the data will be available at the end of May


·         Can you confirm to the committee when all of the 2017/18 data will be available


The Chair advised that the report be deffered until the figures are published in relation to the Key Performance Indicators at 5.2 on Page 41 of the report.


·         Page 39 of the report states that a number of Call Blockers have been installed free of charge for dementia suffers, can you tell the committee how many dementia sufferers there are in the County Borough and whether there are any plans in place to roll out the call blockers to all non-dementia sufferers


·         Is there any funding available from Central Government or Proceeds of Crime to cover the cost of the Call Blockers


·         How much money has the Authority recovered from Proceeds of Crime


·         In relation to the Drug Litter App, when will it be available and will Councillors have access to it on their IPads




The content of the report be noted.


Wellbeing Objective: People Have Good Physical and Mental Health pdf icon PDF 218 KB

To consider the attached report


John Sellwood introduced the report to the committee and highlighted the six areas of the Active Merthyr Plan and explained that all of the projects were delivered and completed within the timescales set.


The following questions were raised by the committee and answered in detail by the appropriate officer.


·         Who selects the projects that have been included in the Plan


·         Page 49 – 50 of the report refers to the Active Merthyr Plan Projects which finished in March of this year, can you confirm if the projects are still on-going and if the funding for the projects will continue


·         The report states that all of the projects are ‘Blue Status’ can you explain what the blue status is and what are the other colour codes used to reflect the status of each project


·         In relation to the physical activity for pre and post-natal mothers (Bump Fit and Buggy Running) how did you recruit the participants


·         Does the Active Merthyr Project liaise with the Community Chest funding programme


·         Is it possible that the Active Merthyr Project could look at Horticultural activities within schools




The content of the report be noted.


The Chair thanked John Sellwood for the report and he left the meeting.


Wellbeing Objective: People Live Independently pdf icon PDF 216 KB

To consider the attached report


Mark Anderton introduced the report and drew the committee’s attention to the well-being objective outlined in the report ‘People, empowered to live independently within their communities, have the appropriate support, advice and assistance to meet their personal needs, live safely and access opportunities available to them’ which sets out what the objective aims to achieve.


The following question was raised by the committee and responded to in detail by the relevant officer.


·         The aim is to allow people to live independently, in layman’s terms can you tell the committee where you are with this objective and how you are progressing




The contents of the report be noted.


The Chair thanked the Mark Anderton for the report.


Annual Report Social Services Complaints, Representations and Compliments 2016/2017 pdf icon PDF 382 KB

To consider the attached report


Jonathan Strong introduced the report to the committee and explained the Social Services complaints procedure and the two stages involved in the process.


The following questions were raised by the committee and were responded to by the appropriate officers.


·         Are there currently any major complaints (stage 2) relating to the Social Services Department


·         If an individual requests an advocate, how long does it take for one to be allocated and first contact made with the complainant


·         Are all complainant groups catered for if an advocate is requested, or are only vulnerable groups able to access this service


·         Will the complaints officer allow the complainant to make their complaints verbally instead of in written form (some people have literacy and/or disability issues), bearing in mind a complaint is a dissatisfaction of service whether written down or presented verbally


·         Do the local authority keep a record of how many stage 2 complaints are withdrawn by the complainant during the investigation


·         If a stage 2 investigator raises concerns over the complainants ability to follow the process, what support does the local authority offer to ensure the individuals complaint is investigated to completion


·         Failure to communicate has been a massive theme running through the local authority for many years, why hasn't this issue been addressed properly yet


·         What is the longest it has ever taken to appoint a Stage 2 investigator


·         Page 74, why are there 28% of Adult stage 1 complaints ongoing/on hold, from 2016/2017, bearing in mind that we are now in 2018


·         Page 75, why are there 43% of Children's stage 1 complaints ongoing/on hold, bearing in mind that we are now in 2018


·         Page 75, paragraph under Adult and Children's Social Services Complaints - Stage Two heading, states, "there has been a significant reduction in stage 2 complaints, this is due in large part..... through setting up meetings with the Line Manager and complainant with the stage 1 process". How long has this been in place? And is this offered to all complainants.


·         If the answer to the above question is before March 2017 - One of my residents submitted complaints on separate occasions over 12 months ago and was not offered a meeting with the Line Manager who provided the response. In what circumstances if any is this not offered?


The Head of Service, Mark Anderton requested a meeting with Councillor D Sammon to discuss in greater detail the issues that were highlighted in his questioning


·         What if a complainant who has previous complaints upheld believes that this has resulted in the local authority holding grudges over the complainant, which results in poor service, can that complaint be escalated to stage 2 immediately




The committee raise questions and challenges to improve practice and outcomes for our customers.


The Chair thanked the officer for the report.  


Developing a Work Programme for 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 770 KB

To consider the attached report


The Chair advised the committee that he is meeting with officers next week to discuss and develop the work programme for the coming year.




The contents of the report be noted.


The committee considered establishing a Task and Finish Group to prepare a draft work programme for submission to the next committee meeting for further discussion / agreement.


Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow up Actions


The Chair provided the committee with an update in relation to the meeting with Barod (formerly Drugaid) and they will be providing a presentation and attending the next meeting of Social Services Scrutiny.


The Scrutiny Officer explained that a draft work programme will completed in time for the June meeting along with the Barod presentation and the performance report in relation to Wellbeing Objective: Developing Safer Communities as discussed at Agenda Item 4.


Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting

To receive an update from the Chair


The Chair and the Committee reflected on the issues that had been considered.


Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair


The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent and closed the meeting.


a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z