Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS
A briefing session for Panel Members will be held from 10.35am – 10.50am (approximately) prior to the arrival of any invited attendees or witnesses to the meeting.
The Panel discussed the items that were to be considered at the meeting. The Chair advised Panel that due to purdah the Police Commissioner would not be in attendance and would be represented by Officers from South Wales Police.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Christine Richards.
Late apologies were received from Councillors Bernie Bowen-Thompson and Sherelle Jago due to unforeseen technical difficulties.
Declarations of Interest
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No declarations of interest were received.
To consider the attached report
The Chair invited Lee Jones to present the information on the Police and Crime Commissioner for South Wales Scrutiny Overview to the Panel.
Lee Jones and Hannah Jenkins-Jones presented details on the following topics:-
· Role, Responsibilities and Functions of the Commissioner
· Strategic Planning – Police and Crime Plan
· Governance Arrangements
· Legal Compliance
· Equality and Inclusion
· Working with Partners
· Commissioner’s Team
· Chief Executive Responsibilities
· Election Process
· Scrutiny and Assurance
· The Deep Dive Scrutiny Process
· Scrutiny and Accountability Board
· Police Accountability and Legitimacy Group
The Chair thanked L Jones and H Jenkins-Jones for the detailed presentation.
The Panel asked the following questions/raised topics for discussion:-
· Given the Home Secretary’s intention to include targets for PCCs and the public’s apathy to PCP voting (15%), what is your view of the desirability, if the measures can be segmented for local councillors to have read outs from the performance of the PCC and whether this would strengthen the role of Panel, increase public interest and awareness if more relevant, segmented local information was made available?
· Have you considered a representative or observer on your scrutiny and accountability board or the police accountability and legitimacy groups?
· How effective/valued do those that have taken part in the engagement consultation feel?
· Clarity sought on budget setting and engagement.
· PCC Voice of the Public Presentation.
· Request for an update on cultural change and wellbeing.
The Panel note the content of the report.
To consider the attached report
Simon Jones presented the Oversight of Complaints Report to Panel.
Any other business deemed urgent by the Chair
No other business was deemed urgent by the Chair.