Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services Department
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence received from Councillors Julian Amos and Malcolm Colbran.
Declarations of Interest
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No declarations of interest were made.
To receive a report from Ann Taylor, Head of Democratic Services.
Ann Taylor referred to the Member Development Strategy and advised that this Strategy has been written to inform how the Authority will deliver and monitor a programme of training and development for elected Members over the next 5 years.
Ann Taylor gave background information in relation to the following questions/queries from the Committee:
· Clarification on whether the member training budget is sufficient for the appropriate training to be given to Members.
· Is the training cost effective?
· Mandatory training during the first phase of the Induction process.
· Democratic Services Committee to be involved in the process of evaluating and determining appropriate training for Members following completion of the TNA’s.
· The possibility of on-line training for future Member Training.
· The Member Development Strategy be approved.
· The Head of Democratic Services report back regularly to provide feedback on each stage of implementation.
To receive an update on the Induction report from Karen Vokes, Democratic Services Officer
Karen Vokes updated members on how the Member Induction Programme is progressing and advised that this Committee will receive further reports on updates in relation to progress, costs and advice and support over the next 5 years. Discussion ensued in relation to:
· Members’ attendance at the end of the first phase of the Induction process.
· The next phase of the Induction Programme which will focus on departmental services over the next 5 years.
· Completion of TNA’s to determine Members’ training requirements.
Ann Taylor and Karen Vokes gave advice and background information in relation to the following questions/queries from Members of the Committee:
· Monitoring costs of training events requested by Members.
· The availability of training attendance figures at Neighbouring Authorities.
· Recording of Members’ attendance at training events for inclusion within their Annual Reports.
· DBS Checks for Councillors.
· Members note the contents of this report.
· Regular reports on training attendance are scheduled to this Committee.
· An evaluation of the responses to the TNA’s are brought back to the Democratic Services Committee prior to any training being sourced.
· A breakdown of individual members’ attendance at training events is made available to the Political Leaders and members of the Democratic Services Committee on request.
· Councillors be reminded by Democratic Services Committee that any training requested comes at a cost to the Authority, and that every effort should be made for them to attend whenever possible.
To receive a report from Ann Taylor, Head of Democratic Services
Ann Taylor advised the Committee that the Authority has an obligation to provide facilities and support for Members to carry out their roles as Councillors.
She gave an outline of the support and resources available to Councillors and suggested that a Task and Finish Group be established to continue to look at Members’ requirements throughout the duration of their term of office, e.g. IT provision and administrative, casework and committee support.
Following questions raised by the Committee it was RESOLVED that:
· Democratic Services Committee notes the background leading up to the support currently in place.
· Members of the Task and Finish Group will be Councillors Clive Jones, Declan Sammon and Darren Roberts. Also agreed that Councillor Julian Amos would be invited to attend the Task and Finish Group meeting as a member of his own Independent Group.
It was also RESOLVED that:
· Ann Taylor e-mail all Councillors to remind them to return any old ICT equipment at their homes.
· Ann Taylor to clarify with Councillors the location of the Members’ Library.
Any Other Business Deemed Urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.