Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Contact: Democratic Services Department
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor J Amos.
Declarations of Interest
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
Feedback on Task and Finish Group - Member Support
To receive a presentation providing feedback from the Task and Finish Group looking at Member Support
The Chair welcomed Councillor A Barry Cabinet Member and Ann Taylor to the Meeting.
Ann Taylor referred to the Task and Finish Group that had been held and gave a Presentation and update to the Committee in relation to:
· The Telephone Directory on the Intranet
· Bobs Business
· 2017 – 2022 Member Induction
· IT Provision
The following questions and comments were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by Councillor A Barry and Ann Taylor.
· Is there any way telephone numbers for Departments as well as for Officers can be listed on the Intranet by the I T Department
· The need to have a Directory fit for purpose and to move forward with the staff changes being made in the Authority
· What is the capacity of the system
· Problems of delays being experienced at particular times of the day with the public and Members getting through via the central switch board
· The pilot being undertaken on the I Pads in relation to amending the software to Microsoft 365 as opposed to the Blackberry software that is currently being used
· Early comments from the Pilot being that a big advantage is that that the Memory does not get clogged
· Every Councillor has a different level of usage and there will be an opportunity for all Councillors to have a review on their I T needs and to ascertain their requirements. This would be a system of individual assessments on how each Member was reacting with IT and to meet the individual needs of the Members
· The need to ensure the reliability of the I Pads as not to affect the Democratic process
· When I Pads are with the I T Departments residents are not aware of this and the need to sort this issue for all Members
· The need for Training in relation to accessing Background Papers
· The need for easy access to Hyperlinks in e-mails
· What IT issues are being experienced by other Authorities
· Timeline for the Microsoft 365 Pilot
The Committee then agreed that the Pilot being undertaken with Microsoft 365 be continued and that the Chair and Vice Chair of the Committee be contacted in relation to any issues that arise.
Ann Taylor also advised that with regard to Member Induction there was a need to receive from Councillors their individual training needs and urged the Councillors to respond to the Training Needs Analysis.
Update from Head of Democratic Services
To receive a verbal report from the Head of Democratic Services on the changes to Scrutiny Support
Ann Taylor updated the Committee in relation to the role of Democratic Services and Performance in relation to the Scrutiny Process.
Member Development Strategy
To receive a verbal update on the progress of the Member Development Strategy
Ann Taylor referred to the Training that had been provided and the excellent take up of this by the Members.
Reference was also made to the Training Needs Analysis that had been discussed in detail earlier in the Meeting.
To review the report taken to Full Council on 21st November 2018 and consider the future role of the Democratic Services Committee in encouraging Councillor diversity
Ann Taylor referred the Committee to the ‘Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales (Draft) Annual Report’ that had been considered by Full Council.
Debate then ensued on the issue of Reimbursement of Costs of Care responding in detail to questions raised in relation to:
· Supporting the global reporting of these payments
· Registration of Carers
· Freedom of Information requests
· Diversity of Councillors
The Chair then thanked Councillor Barry and Ann Taylor for the updates to the Committee.
Any Other Business Deemed Urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.