Venue: Committee Room 1
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor H Barrett, Councillor B Carter and Councillor M O’Neill.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members of this Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members’ Code of Conduct. In addition Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
a. Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and
b. Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.
Councillor E C Galsworthy Declared his Interest in Item three – Merthyr Tydfil Destination Management Plan as he is the Council’s Representative on the Board for the Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust Limited and advised that there were a number of references to the Leisure Trust in the report but that he would not make any comments or vote in relation to any Trust matters.
To consider report of Corporate Director Place and Transformation.
The Chair welcomed Councillor C Barry, Councillor P Williams Cabinet Members, Ryan Barry and Jared Green to the Meeting.
Ryan Barry referred the Committee to the ‘Merthyr Tydfil Destination Management Plan’ report together with the ‘Merthyr Tydfil Destination Management Plan 2016 -2018’ Brochure.
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by the Cabinet Members and the Officers:
· Have the Corporate Communications Team been involved in the Consultation and preparation of the report and brochure
· Paragraph 7.5 of the report - What is the involvement of the Corporate Communications Team in the key dates timescales
· Paragraph 3.1 of the report – What does the trends analysis show so far
· Paragraph 4 of the Brochure – Priorities for Merthyr Tydfil – Officers requested to share the Priorities with the Committee
· Marketing Brochures – How are they to be distributed to the general public
· Paragraph 4.1 of the report – Will brochures have opening and closing times for facilities together with directions on how to locate facilities.
· Where will visitors to Merthyr Tydfil be able to obtain a brochure
· Cardiff has a scheme linked to lampposts that when visitors are near to the lamppost they can receive information advising of the location and places of interest together with directions to other areas – How much would this cost and has this facility been considered
· Regional Transport System – City Deal – Has consideration to a similar approach been given in relation to Tourism
· Paragraph 3.5 of the report gives details of figures derived from STEAM (Safeguarding Heritage and Rural Economies) – Can a breakdown be given of where these figures come from and the locations of the visit
· What have the STEAM figures shown the Authority – What are the benefits, what is the footfall, how much has been spent in Merthyr Tydfil to develop the local economy
· Paragraph 4.5 of the report – What is the effect of staff turnover on the workings of the Organisation
· How are the other key policies in the Authority such as the Open Space Policy fed into the Plan
· How are the Rights of Way being managed
· Rights of Way Registration – What needs to be done
· Trail Development – Trails are also used by bikers and not just walkers – Are bikers monitored as a separate group
· Signage – For example no signage for Rock UK at Fiddlers Elbow – The importance of signage
· Will there be further development of the Furnaces – No signage to the area
· Since the last Committee Meeting Consultation has taken place with internal Departments, Stakeholders and the Public – How many bodies have been consulted and what feedback was received
· What are the links with neighbouring Authorities
· Paragraph 4.1 of the brochure – Cyfarthfa Heritage area – Clarification sought regarding the Collection Zone – When will this take place – What will happen to the old Gymnasium
· When will further information be received on this
· How are Officers ensuring bodies work ... view the full minutes text for item 1274.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair.
The Chair and the Committee reflected on the discussion that had taken place in the Meeting.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.