Venue: REMOTE MEETING - MICROSOFT TEAMS
Apologies for absence were received from H Jackson Co-opted Member.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider report of the Interim Chief Executive
The Chair referred the Committee to the ‘Housing and Homelessness’ report and welcomed Suzanne Stephens to the Meeting.
Suzanne Stephens then led the Committee in detail through the report and also gave an update in relation to the Winter Night Shelter.
The following questions were then raised by the Members on the report and were responded to in detail by Suzanne Stephens, Councillor G Thomas, Alyn Owen and Chris Long:
· Explanation requested on Housing Allowances – Social and Private Landlords
· Has the uplift in the Housing Allowance made any difference
· How many are looking for Housing at the moment – How many are refusing engagement – Proposals for the Winter
· Is there alternative funding in relation to the provision of a Winter Night Shelter – How are other Local Councils dealing with this
Councillor G Thomas then updated the Committee in relation to a recent Meeting held with Welsh Government
· Paragraph 4.4 – How many were accommodated in Chaplin’s – How many places will there be going forward as opposed to previously
· Is there anything in the report that needs to be changed due to the Firebreak Lockdown
· Paragraph 5.3 – The scale of the problem – How many of the households in temporary accommodation were Covid related – The impact on individuals and staff – The need to find additional accommodation
· The effect on Tourism
· Paragraph 5.10 – Overview on a Winter Night Shelter and extra accommodation requested – Will the accommodation mirror the services of the Winter Night Shelter
· Staffing capacity in the Housing Department
· The effect of Legislation from Welsh Government on priority need – The impact on the housing waiting list
· If there is no Winter Night Shelter how will warm clothing, blankets etc be distributed
· Police and Crime Commissioner Funding in relation to Anti-Social Behaviour
· How to get the message out re- Anti-Social behaviour – Can Communications get the message out in relation to the perceptions of people
Councillor G Thomas then updated the Committee in relation to summit Meetings that had been held and that a report and actions arising from these Meetings would be brought to the Scrutiny Committee
The Committee then agreed that an update report from these summit Meeting be considered at the Scrutiny Committee scheduled for 1 December 2020.
The Chair then thanked Suzanne Stephens for the overview report to the Committee.
Thanks were also conveyed to Suzanne Stevens for the work she had undertaken together with the work carried out by the Housing Department.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred the Committee to the Draft Forward Work Programme 2020/21.
Reference was then made to the report on the Summit Meetings that had been agreed for inclusion at the 1 December 2020 Meeting.
The Chair also asked Alyn Owen for an overview on the Firebreak Lockdown and how it would impact on the Department.
The Chair also referred to the need for a rounded view on Anti Social Behaviour and Homelessness and how Anti Social Behaviour connected with other issues.
Resolved subject to the foregoing that:
The Draft Forward Work Programme be approved.
Councillor M Colbran left the Meeting at 3.43 pm.
Scrutiny Referrals, Feedback and Follow Up Actions
There was no update on this item.
Reflection and Evaluation of Meeting
To receive an update from the Chair
The Chair and the Committee reflected on the issues that had been considered in the Meeting.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
Self – Evaluation Questionnaire
Maria Purnell advised the Committee that the Questionnaires would be distributed in the next few weeks with a return completion date of 30 November 2020 and outlined its content.