Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER - MICROSOFT TEAMS
Contact: Democratic Services
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor A Williams-Price and H Hopkins Co-opted Member.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
Councillor L Davies Declared his Interest in Item 3 – UK Shared Prosperity Levelling-Up Fund as he works for Merthyr Leisure Trust and it receives CRF and SPF Funding.
To consider report of the Deputy Chief Executive
The Chair welcomed Councillor G Thomas, Councillor M Symonds Cabinet Members, Alyn Owen, Ryan Barry and Ian Evans to the Meeting.
Alyn Owen referred the Committee to the ‘UK Shared Prosperity Levelling-up Fund’ report and gave an overview of the UK Government’s Levelling-up Programme specifically the Shared Prosperity Fund (SPF) element.
Ryan Barry then referred in detail to the key areas contained within the report.
The following questions were then raised on the report and were responded to in detail by the Officers:
· Clarification in respect of Retrospective Funding
· Clarification in respect of Third Sector Organisations who received EU Funding – Will there be support going forward
· Clarification of Revenue and Capital Funding
· Are Voluntary Bodies able to apply for Community Funds – If so when will this start – Is there a restriction for what they can apply for – Is there a maximum amount that they can apply for
· (Request that update on this be brought to Full Council to ensure all Councillors are aware)
· Paragraph 5.9 – Seven Key Priorities
· Allocation of monies – Near the end of the financial year – Has the money been spent
· Has the go ahead been given for re-profiling
· Is the Core Team in situ
· Business Support – How is this money allocated -Can each Business apply for this – What are the Terms and Conditions – Will it start straight away – Clarification sought on Recruitment
· Town Centre Enhancement – Explanation requested in relation to Public Realm Enhancements and the Community Wardens Project – What will be the powers of the Wardens and will they be working closely with the Police and PCS’s – Update in relation to Police presence in the Bus Station – Is there enough space in the Bus Station for all this – Are the Community Wardens able to operate outside of the Town Centre – What is the geographical boundary of the Town Centre – Problems with youths and anti-social behaviour – Problems with reporting incidents and the need to report incidents straight away - Use of the 101 system – Need for Communication on how to report instances
· Community Schools) Including Integration into Communities) – Will any monies be used for Caretaking staff working later to cater for usage by Clubs etc
· School Hubs – Is this money for all the Clusters
· The involvement of Governing Bodies – Security considerations – Support of the Headteacher
· Strategic Tourism and Events – Will there be a Tourist Information Centre somewhere – Possibly in a Hub
· (Alyn Owen advised that a Scrutiny session could be held on each of the seven Key Priority areas)
· (The Chair then referred to convening Workshops for the consideration of these Priorities)
· What is the discrepancy between the Funding and EU Funding – Is there any recourse to ask for further funding
· Will SPF be used in relation to Services in light of the Budget
· How will Members be kept updated
· The Chair then suggested that a separate Workshop be held in ... view the full minutes text for item 703.
Did we address the recommendations in each report and how have we added value?
The Chair and the Committee considered the recommendations in the report and agreed that they had been addressed.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred the Committee to the Forward Work Programme 2022/23 and it was agreed by the Committee.
There were no referrals.
Feedback on Scrutiny Activities
Any outstanding actions? Feedback from workshops / task and finish groups / enquiry days, etc.
The Committee received feedback from the recent Workshop that had been held with the Police in relation to Crime and Disorder. Arrangements were also being made for the Committee to visit Police Headquarters.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.