Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER - MICROSOFT TEAMS
Contact: Democratic Services
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor M Symonds Cabinet Member.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct
(a) Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and
(b) Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider the attached report
The Chair referred to the updated Forward Work Programme 2023/24 that had been circulated to the Committee.
The Committee then discussed items for the Work Programme and referred to Glebeland Street, St Tydfils Centre, Town Centre, Fly Tipping and Empty properties.
The Committee also discussed Joint Scrutiny Meetings and the Chair advised that he would pursue this .
To consider the attached report
The Chair welcomed Councillor G Thomas Cabinet Member, Alyn Owen, Suzanne Lewis-Abbott, Jennifer Rees, Angela Edevane and Chris Jones to the Meeting.
Alyn Owen and Suzanne Lewis-Abbott then referred the Committee to the Disabled Facility Grants (DFG) report.
Questions were then raised on the report and were responded to in detail by Councillor Thomas and the Officers:
· Details requested on the SLA with RCTCBC – Are there any other Local Authorities involved
· Details requested on the Legal Time Frame
· Explanation of Categories – What is the breakdown in number terms – Could these figures be shared with the Committee
· What is the value as well as the cost of DFG’s
· The needs of the individual
· Waiting times and numbers for people in hospital waiting for adaptations
· Are there more up to date Statistics available
· Figures include Adults and Children – How many are Children
· What is the spend for the current financial year
· Details requested in relation to Care and Repair
· The steps involved in the DFG application process – Have any conclusions been reached by Senior Management Team and the Cabinet
· Details of costs without RCT and Care and Repair – What would be the staffing needs
· Details of the number of referrals received and how are these referrals managed
· Explanation of where the DFG Function sits
· Is Merthyr Tydfil achieving its objective for people to live longer in their own home
· Are other teams facing the same challenges
· Explanation of the date order on the waiting list – Is this the same for all Authorities in Wales
· Has an analysis been undertaken for the reasons for the percentage increase
· Cost of smaller grants as opposed to large grants and the decisions that have to be made
· Are the results of the Board Meeting available
· How many extensions are in the system
· Finance ceiling with Social Landlords – Any discussion regarding increasing the figure
· Details in the background papers - Consistency and obligations under the grant – Reasonable and practicable
Further comments were then made by the Committee with a request to keep the Committee updated on what is happening together with input from Social Services.
The Chair then thanked Councillor G Thomas and the Officers for attending and the detailed responses and update to the Committee.
Did we address the recommendations in each report and how have we added value?
There were no recommendations but there had been good debate and challenge to the report.
There were no referrals.
Feedback on Scrutiny Activities
Any outstanding actions? Feedback from workshops / task and finish groups / enquiry days, etc.
The Chair advised that arrangements were still being made for the Police visit
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no other business deemed urgent.