Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER. View directions
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor P Brown, Councillor B Carter, Councillor D Isaac, Councillor C Jones, Councillor G Jones, Councillor H R Jones, Councillor J McCarthy, Councillor L Mytton, Councillor S Williams and Mrs A Harris, Mrs N Mahoney, Mr A Rees and Mr D Gibby Co-opted Members.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members of this Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members’ Code of Conduct. In addition Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
a. Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and
b. Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider report of the Chief Executive.
Councillor P Williams referred the Committee to the ‘Budget Requirement 2016/17 to 2019/20’ report.
Steve Jones then made a Presentation to the Committee giving details on the following:
· Budget Requirement 2016/17 to 2019/20
· Financial Background
· Welsh Local Government Settlement 2016 -17
· Change in Aggregate External Finance, adjusted for transfers by Unitary Authority
· Revenue Settlements 2010/11 – 2016/17
· Breakdown of General Capital Funding by Unitary Authority 2016-17
· Medium Term Financial Plan 2015/16 – 2017/18
· Medium Term Financial Plan 2016/17 – 2019/20
· Cabinet/Council Approved adjustments
· Adjustments from updated information (Part 1 to 7)
· Additional Pension Contributions
· Impact of Provisional Local Government Settlement
· Notes to Impact of Provisional Local Government Settlement
· Welsh Government Draft Budget 2016/17
· Schools’ Cash Protection (Provisional)
· Corporate Risk Fund
· Council Tax Increase Reduction
· Revised MTFP 2015/16 – 2017/18
· Council Budget Strategy
· Other Considerations
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by the Cabinet Members and the Officers:
· Paragraph 1.3 of the report – How confident is the Officer that the Authority will get approval of Capitalisation and if not, where will savings be found
· There have been financial difficulties over the past few years and financial difficulties to be faced in the future, can a monetary figure be given for the cost of providing non Statutory Services and how would this figure compare with three years ago
· What is the difference in costs between Statutory and non Statutory Services – How are the costs split
· How much has the Authority saved by stripping down processes
· Restructuring of Senior Management and the evaluation of Senior Managers posts
· Is there any indication of what schools are going to cut
· Capital expenditure – Can examples be given on why the Authority would be purchasing land
· Are there any Services that are being provided above the minimum Statutory requirements
· Paragraph 5.3.3 of the report – Could ‘Slippage’ be explained
· The Corporate Risk Fund – Why are outcome agreement monies out of the budget – Why is this being done and what are the benefits
· The new Social Services Wellbeing Act – Will there be a review of funds for Social Services
· What could be the effect of the Williams Report and the Local Government Review
· Will the Authority be a proper living wage employer
Councillor P Williams then advised that Officers were currently preparing reports to set the budget at the Special Council Meeting scheduled for 2 March 2016 and recommended that a further joint Audit and Scrutiny Committee be convened to consider the budget proposal in further detail prior to the Special Council Meeting.
A Special Joint Audit / Joint Scrutiny Committee be convened for 24 February 2016 commencing at 3.30 pm.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.