Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor P Brown, Councillor C Davies, Councillor L Davies and H Jackson, R Lazell, K Sutton, M Ellis, H Hopkins, J McCarthy, K Phelan, C Payne, H Powell, T Butler, E Wilkins-Campbell, and E Davies Co-opted Members.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members of this Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members’ Code of Conduct. In addition Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
a. Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and
b. Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.
Mr R Holdaway Co-opted Member Declared his Interest in Item Three – Medium Term Financial Plan 2019/20 to 2022/23 – Update January 2019 – Citizen’s Advice Bureau as he is a Director.
To consider report of the Chief Executive
Steve Jones referred the Committee to the ‘Medium Term Financial Plan 2019/20 to 2022/23 – Update January 2019’ report and also made a Presentation in relation to:
· Revised Budget Deficits 2019/20 to 2022/23
· Corporate Additional Demands
· Corporate Budget Reductions
· Further Revised Budget Deficits
· Local Government Revenue Settlement
· Welsh Local Government Revenue Settlement 2019 -2020
· Schools Budget Reductions
· Proposals to Address Budget Deficit 2019/20
The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by the Officers:
· Increase in cost of school meals
· Paragraph 3.1 – What is the projected deficit – Could the figure be included in the report
· What are the current reserves
· What is the cost of the Additional Learning Needs Bill
· Clarification sought in relation to Budget and general reserves
· Timing of grants from the Welsh Government
· Further details requested in relation to Phase 2 – VR/VER
· Teachers Pensions
· Position next year in relation to Children Looked After – Demands
· Cost of a Residential Placement per annum
· Explanation requested in relation to Weekly Placements
· Level of Placements – Reasons for the increase – Is this UK wide
· Clarification sought on Supported Placements (Individual Care Packages)
· Clarification sought in relation to Financing of a permanent Energy Officer
A Member then enquired why there was no Member of the Cabinet present at the Meeting to respond to questions raised.
Another Member then advised that the Cabinet Members were currently in another Meeting and would be attending shortly.
A Member then moved the motion that ‘this Committee was disappointed that there was no Cabinet Member present at the Meeting’ and this motion was seconded.
Councillor K O’Neill, Councillor D Hughes and Councillor G Thomas then entered the Meeting at 3.10pm.
A vote was then taken on the Motion and it was
To note the disappointment of the Committee that there was no Cabinet Member present at the Meeting.
Further Resolved that:
The report be noted.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
Councillor K O’Neill addressed the Committee regarding the attendance of the Cabinet Members at the Meeting.