Venue: COUNCIL CHAMBER
Councillor C T Jones as the Chair of Audit took the Chair for the Joint Committee Meeting.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor T Skinner, Councillor H R Jones, Councillor M Jones, Councillor D Roberts (Audit Committee) and C Brown, R Holdaway, H Jackson, R Lazelle and K Phelan Co-opted Members.
Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)
Members of this Committee are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members’ Code of Conduct. In addition Members must declare any prohibited party whip which the Member has been given in relation to the meeting as per the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
a. Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest; and
b. Where Members withdraw from a meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave.
No Declarations of Interest were made.
To consider report of the Interim Chief Executive
Steve Jones referred to the ‘Revenue Budget 2020/21’ report and together with the Cabinet Members and Officers responded in detail to the following questions that were raised by the Committee on the report:
· Information on compulsory redundancy
· Paragraph 5.6.5 – Is the £1m taken into account for the enhanced provision in Education
· Paragraph 5.7.1 – Pay Award – Will there be an agreement on the percentage before the budget is set
· Service Investment – What is the time line for this – Will there be a report to Cabinet and or Council
· Llwydcoed Crematorium – Are the reserves allocated for anything specific
· Extra costs in relation to Vaynor and Penderyn School – Where is this money from – Will this be subject to a Cabinet report – Will it be an open report
· Paragraph 6.4 – Explanation requested on the difference between the two figures (The figure in the paragraph and the figure in Table 1)
Appendix 4 – Net Additional Unavoidable Demands
· Demands and Proposed Savings: A lot of proposed changes are currently out for Consultation and are due to be brought back to Council – Update requested on the current consultation process - Will the consultations be brought back to Council and will it be before the final budget is set – When did the consultation period commence
· Ref 11 – Explanation requested on the reasons for the increase
· Ref 12 – How is the 6% increase made up – How was this figure arrived at
· Ref 20 and 21 – Background and update requested on the Trade Unions disagreement
· Ref 20 – Street Cleansing over the Christmas period
· Ref 23 – Explanation requested on the restocking costs
· Ref 25 – Demands on the Service
· Ref 30 – Is there a Service Level Agreement with the Police
· Ref 31 – Is there an increase in income due to an increase in Service users
· Ref 34 – Explanation requested in relation to the administration grant
· Ref 35 – When is the deadline in relation to staff
· Ref 36 – Why has the Service Level Agreement been terminated by the Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Trust – What is the level of Service to the Trust
· Ref 38 – What is the number of Fixed Penalty Notices that have been affected by carrying out other duties
Appendix 5 – Approved Service Budget Reductions
· Ref 5 – Further information sought in relation to the proposed Public Inquiry
· Ref 7 – Explanation requested on the Post
· There are a number of Consultations taking place in relation to staff – Can Councillors have an update – Are the Consultations likely to meet deadlines – Will there be an effect on the overall report
· Ref 10,11,12 and 13 – Which Department does the deletion / vacancy relate to
Appendix 6 – Corporate Budget Reductions
· Ref 7 – Explanation requested on this
The content of the report be noted.
Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair
The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.