Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Voluntary Action Centre, 89/90 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 8UH

No. Item

Voluntary Action Merthyr Tydfil

The Committee received a Presentation from Ian Davy and Sharon Richards representing Voluntary Action Merthyr Tydfil (VAMT) on the role of VAMT giving details in relation to:


What is VAMT, Core Services, Volunteering, Funding Advice and Assistance, Grant Administration, Governance Advice and Assistance, Engagement and Influence, Communications and Community Coordinators.


Apologies for Absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor C Barry (MTCBC), Councillor D Isaac (MTCBC), Councillor M Powell (RCT) and Mr J Jenkins Co-opted Member.


Councillor D Sammon left the Meeting at 10.00 am.


Declarations of Interest (including whipping declarations)

Members are reminded of their personal responsibility to declare any personal and prejudicial interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 relating to Council Tax, the Local Government Act 2000, the Council’s Constitution and the Members Code of Conduct




(a)  Members are reminded that they must identify the item number and subject matter that their interest relates to and signify the nature of the personal interest and


(b)  Where Members withdraw from a Meeting as a consequence of the disclosure of a prejudicial interest they must notify the Chair when they leave


No Declarations of Interest were made.


Minutes of Previous Meeting(s)

To approve as accurate the Minutes of the following Meeting(s)


The Committee approves as accurate (subject to any amendments) the Minutes of the following Meeting:


24/01/2019 pdf icon PDF 121 KB


Resolved that:


The Minutes of the Meeting held 24 January 2019 be accepted as a correct record.


Progress Update - Cwm Taf PSB and Cwm Taf SPB pdf icon PDF 4 MB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:


The Chair welcomed Professor Marcus Langley Chair of the Public Service Board to the Meeting.


Professor Langley updated the Committee on progress made by the PSB and gave details on:


·         Future relationship with Bridgend PSB – Partnership arrangements

·         Welsh Government Funding

·         The use of Data

·         Community Engagement

·         Clarifying objectives and developing progress

·         Development of the ‘Logic Module’ – Being clear about objectives and marketing

·         The four themes of the Delivery Plan

·         Involvement – Recent Youth Conference – Focus on Loneliness and Isolation

·         The Annual Report

·         Community Zones – Natural Resources Wales

·         Work with the Future Generations Commissioners – Adverse Childhood Experiences

·         Future Wellbeing assessment requirements

·         Public Service Board Newsletter

·         Collaboration with the Regional Partnership Board

·         The shift towards ‘Prevention’ and not ‘Intervention’


The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by Professor Langley:


·         Financial aspects of the merger

·         The response of the PSB to Scrutiny - Feedback to the Committee – How does Scrutiny feature in PSB Meetings

·         The PSB Annual Report

·         Production of a Scrutiny Annual Report

·         The good history of collaboration

·         Attendance of the Chair and Vice Chair at PSB Meetings


Professor Langley advised that there was an open invitation for the Chair and or Vice Chair to attend all PSB Meetings.


Strong Economy pdf icon PDF 228 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:


The Chair welcomed Chris Long and Deb Newton-Ryan to the Meeting.


Chris Long referred the Committee to the report and gave a detailed update on the progress being made against the Objective ‘Strong Economy’.


Chris Long also gave details of Tourism and the Destination Management Plan.


Deb Newton-Ryan also gave an update on the work to date on the Employability Pledge and if accepted this would be shared with the Scrutiny Committee and the Committee kept updated on progress.


The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by Chris Long and Deb Newton-Ryan:


·         Appendix – Paragraph 3.1.3 – Who are the Organisations involved in this

·         Paragraph 3.2.1– Explanation of STEAM requested

·         Unemployment rates

·         The link between education and the jobs available – The nature of changing employment

·         Where can firms go to receive advice and support

·         The sponsorship degree programme

·         The link between mental health and secure well paid employment

·         The ‘gig’ economy – Zero hours contracts - What is the Council doing

·         Paragraph 3.1.2 - The challenges of austerity should be in the report as an action point to map progress

·         So many areas to look at – The possibility of smaller working groups to look at things in detail


The Chair then thanked Chris Long and Deb Newton-Ryan for attending and the update to the Committee.


Loneliness and Isolation pdf icon PDF 304 KB

To consider the attached report

Additional documents:


The Chair welcomed Ian Davy of Voluntary Action Merthyr Tydfil to the Meeting.


Ian Davy referred the Committee to the report on the progress made against the cross cutting objectives of ‘Tacking Loneliness and Isolation’ and gave details on:


·         The effect on all ages and genders and the detrimental effect on health

·         Trigger points

·         Activities to bring people together

·         Volunteering

·         Alignment with the Local PSB

·         Shared Strategy – Social prescribing – Community Care Connections

·         Be-friending Services – Funding – Demand for Volunteers

·         Developing Community Support

·         Bereavement Support

·         Welsh Government Strategy


The following questions were then raised by the Committee and were responded to in detail by Ian Davy:


·         How is someone who is lonely and isolated identified

·         How often is this through a G P referral

·         How do people know what support is available

·         How to connect to the Communities not involved

·         The difficulties in getting more people involved in volunteering – How to get new volunteers and more people involved

·         How to get the younger generation involved

·         Appendix – b.1 and b.2 – What progress has been made

·         b.4 – Explanation requested

·         Interlink – Frequency of Meetings – Shared experiences, learning


The Chair then thanked Ian Davy for attending and the update to the Committee.


Work Programme 2018 - 19 pdf icon PDF 511 KB

To consider the attached report


The Chair referred the Committee to the ‘Committee Work Programme’ report and advised that this was her last Meeting as Committee Chair.


The Chair then referred to the work undertaken by the Committee and what could be incorporated into an Annual report and proposed that this information be captured by the end of next week for referral to the PSB Meeting.


A Committee Member then referred to future generation and youth involvement in the Committee.


A Committee Member then suggested than an open invitation be given to Youth representatives to attend Committee Meetings.


The Chair then advised that the Chair and Vice Chair of the Committee would meet to map out the forthcoming Work Programme and that contributions to the Work Programme from the Committee were welcomed.


Any Other Business deemed urgent by the Chair


The Chair advised that there was no business deemed urgent.


a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z