Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Virtual

No. Item


Welcome and Apologies


The Chair, Cllr Richard Searl, welcomed everyone to the meeting.


No Apologies were received.


Police Report


South Wales Police Officers Scott Hutton and Calumn O’Neill joined the meeting.


Cllr Jeff Beard asked the Police to ensure regular attendance at future meetings.


Cllr Beard also requested details of the number of COVID breaches in both Bedlinog and Trelewis since October 2020 – PC Hutton advised that he would provide these.


The following PACT figures have been provided for the period 14/12/2020 to 11/01/2021:


Bedlinog - Crime


No relevant reports


Bedlinog - Anti-social Behaviour


21/12/20- ASB loud music, Station Terrace. Attended and dealt with by officers



Trelewis - Crime


01/01/21- Disqualified driver stopped and dealt with, Ivy Close.


Trelewis - Anti-social Behaviour


19/12/20- Covid breach house party, Nant Gwyn. Dealt with appropriately by attending officers.




08/01/21- Suspicious person reported looking into cars and trying doors, Ivy Close. No vehicles were broken into and person could not be identified.



Declarations of Interest


There were no declarations of interest.


Minutes of Previous Meeting


Cllr Searl proposed that the minutes of the previous meeting were an accurate record of the meeting. This was seconded by Cllr Matthews.


Council resolved to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as a true reflection.


Matters Arising


P3 – The Notice of Co-option for applicants closed 21st December 2020, this will be discussed under Agenda item no.12.


P3 – Keep Wales Tidy have completed the Wildlife Garden at Bedlinog Community Centre, they do need to return to cut back some of the bramble along the path down the side of the Workies building.


P4 – Local Places for Nature Grant – works are delayed with the current lockdown as we are unable to assemble volunteers with the current restrictions. National Lottery Heritage Fund are aware of projects being affected by the Alert Level 4 lockdown.


P4 – The dog waste bin is scheduled to be replaced in Bedlinog Terrace. However, MTCBC have advised that there would be an annual charge of £365 per bin if we install new bins at Glyn Bargoed House, the new playground on the Shindrig Estate, Bedlinog High Street and Pleasant View. The orders for these bins has been put on hold temporarily as it is not within the Community Council remit to pay a charge for bins to be emptied.


ACTION: Cllr Jago to discuss with MTCBC Officers.


P4 – Bedlinog Miners Welfare – no further communications have been received.


ACTION: RJ to contact BMW for an update.


P5 – The final cost for Christmas Gift Bags was £591.59.


P5 - RJ has contacted the landowner in respect of the wall repair opposite the recreational ground and is awaiting a response.


P7 – the resident at 56 Hylton Terrace has made an application to MTCBC regarding the land behind the property leased to BTCC.


P8 – Under Welsh Government guidelines, the Community Centre is now closed until further notice.


P8 – The application for the Repair Café was unsuccessful.


P8 – Cllr Jago advised that she is currently in discussion about improvements to Parks/Playgrounds within the community and looking at potential funding opportunities.


P8 – Hardship fund reinstated, and an electronic application form will be devised.


P9 – The Democratic Services department have been informed that Cllr Searl will represent the Community Council on the MTCBC Standards Committee.



Councillors Report


The following email report was received from County Councillor Malcolm Colbran:


From: Colbran, Malcolm (Councillor) <>
Sent: 04 January 2021 09:26
To: Ryan James (BTCC Clerk) <>
Subject: Re: BTCC Council Meeting 11-01-2021


Mr James,

I won't be attending the meeting of Bedlinog & Trelewis Community Council on 11th January 2021.

This is a copy of the update I provided residents for December 2020.


During December I attended the following meetings.


Licencing Committee

Planning Committee

All other meetings were postponed due to Officers being redeployed to help in the Covid-19 testing centres.


Full NPA meeting 

Policy Forum 

Planning, Access & Rights Of Way Committee 

Audit Committee meeting with Welsh Audit Office

Appointments Committee x 4. Following the resignation of the Chief Executive the Appointments Committee met four times in December as we start the recruitment process for his replacement, we are also recruiting four senior staff at the same time so the next few months will be exceptional busy.


Full Authority meeting.


Quarterly meeting.


Quarterly meeting.


Monthly meeting.


Together with Cllr. Jago I attended the Taff Bargoed Angling Association Junior Section awards ceremony which took place outside & socially distanced.

We helped Santa deliver selection boxes & sweets to the children of Bedlinog & Trelewis and deliver presents to the residents & staff of Glynbargoed House.

We delivered Christmas gift bags to children on behalf of the Stephens & George Charitable Trust and gift bags to residents aged over 75 who had been nominated by friends & neighbours.


I also helped Merthyr Valleys Homes deliver Christmas Eve Boxes to children in Trelewis.


The damaged plaque at Trelewis War Memorial has been replaced.

There's an ongoing issue with flytipping at the Trelewis playground, investigations are taking place.

I've received a number of complaints regarding street lighting which I'm currently looking into.

The fence damaged in a traffic accident at the railway line behind Heol Isaf was repaired, the following week there was another accident at the same spot. I'm currently liaising with the Highways Department to improve safety measures.

During Storm Bella I was out with Officers to help identify and prevent potential flooding issues, it was very wet!

The number of complaints regarding dog fouling has increased markedly this month. All residents are reminded that they have a legal duty to clean up after their own dogs. Free dog waste bags are available from me upon request.

If you tie a food waste bag to your caddy, then the recycling team should leave you a new roll. If they do not or you forget then I have got some rolls available.


Along with other Councillors I took part in a Guard of Honour at the funeral of former MTCBC Mayor Tom Lewis.


It wasn't possible to hold normal Christmas events this year, so I attended a Virtual Christmas show at Greenfield School, the Llywdcoed Crematorium Virtual Carol Service and the Merthyr  ...  view the full minutes text for item 77.


Planning Applications


Council considered planning application P/20/0135.


Cllr Searl proposed that there were no objections to this planning application, this was seconded by Cllr Preston.


Council resolved that there were no objections.




A resident at Manor View, Trelewis, had contacted the Community Council to advise that dog waste bags had been thrown into trees and the fencing surrounding the pond near Manor View Estate. RJ confirmed that this had been reported to MTCBC.


Further communication had been received about fly tipping on the common. Cllr Jago advised that she had raised this with the Cabinet Member for Environmental Services at MTCBC.




Cllr Frayne has been contacted by a resident in Oakland Street about the Pavillion, lots of furniture and waste is outside the building causing an eye sore.


ACTION: RJ to contact Bedlinog Miners Welfare Association to report this.


Cllr Frayne raised an issue with the riverside path from the community centre down to the recreation ground. Gabions have collapsed along with the fence and there is an area of the path which is very dangerous.


ACTION: RJ to report this to MTCBC.


Cllr Jago requested to book Bedlinog Community Centre for the two weeks prior to Christmas Eve to set up a Santa’s grotto. RJ confirmed that he would put this booking into the calendar.


Cllr Searl raised that there is a lot of speeding taking place at Farm Road. He asked Cllr Jago to discuss this with MTCBC and to investigate a review of the speed limit.


ACTION: Cllr Jago to discuss speed limits along Farm Road with MTCBC.



Financial Report


RJ presented the financial report and answered questions from Councillors.


Cllr Searl proposed to approve the financial report, and this was seconded by Cllr Matthews.


Council resolved to approve the financial report.


Precept 21-22


RJ presented the estimates for financial year 21/22 to Council and recommended the precept remains at 23250.


Cllr Jago proposed that the precept recommendation be accepted, this was seconded by Cllr Searl.


Council resolved to set the precept for FY21/22 to 23250.


Casual Vacancy


Councillors reviewed the applications.


Cllr Ian Thomas recommended that all applicants be invited for interview and this was agreed by Council.


Council agreed that Cllr Searl, Cllr Matthews, and Cllr Beard sit on the interview panel.


ACTION: RJ to arrange interviews.


Date of Next Meeting


The next meting will be held virtually, Monday 8th February 2021, 6.15pm.


a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z